Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need AMP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by test dummy, Sep 12, 2005.

1. test dummy

test dummy

Sep 11, 2005
    Hello, me and my two other friends want to start a band, and I want to buy a new amp that can accomidate a pedal. right now I have a frontman 15B. Im looking to spend about $200.00. im looking for maybe 30 to 60 watt. And I also have a question. What is input high input low and line out mean. Is line out for like a pedal. Thanks

2. High Input is for active instruments, and low input is for passive instruments, I believe. Basically, it has to do with the impedence of the signal coming from your instrument.

Line out gives you the ability to plug your amp into something else, such as a mixer board. If you want to add effects and don't have a specific input for them, I would suggest you run them inline from your instrument. That means, the cable goes from your instrument to the effects pedal, and from the pedal to the amp.

Oh, and what kind of music are you going to be making? If it's anything with a loud drummer, you're going to want more than 60w. I would suggest looking in the used market for a Peavey TNT combo. They can be found in the $200 range and have more wattage and a 15" speaker.

3. test dummy

test dummy

Sep 11, 2005
    we would propbly be playing rock. And So you are saying I can buy a pedal and just plug from my guitar to the pedal and from the pedal to the input. Thanks for the advice and help.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes, most pedals are designed to be used with instrument level output, meaning bass -> pedal -> amp for best sound.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    First try out your amp that you have to see if it will be loud enough for practice. If it isn't, then you need a new amp. If it is, you need a lot more than $200 to get a amp loud enough for most gigs, and you should save up a bit.

6. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    buy a used amp...your $200 will go much farther, and there is lots of good used equipment around