Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sonic, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

I need some info on amps/cabs. I've only been playing 2 1/2 years so this'll be my first really good rig. I'll take any suggestions. But it must have some power behind it. Thx

2. jmanyea

jmanyea

Mar 20, 2002
    St. Louis
    Check the FAQ's. Lots of good info. If you need more info you're going to have to be more specific as to what type of music you play, what size rooms, how you plan on moving it, and how deep your pockets are.

3. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

I pretty much am a metal head, play with fingers, use 5's or detuned 4's, active pickups. A lot of people have been asking I be more precise with style. As far as size go's, mostly metal clubs or small stages, such as school.

4. Mesa/boogie!
    I like the m-pulse (walkabout), and you can get a wicked sound for metal. I like their powerhouse cabs. However, you might like eden cabs better, because they have a darker tone. Some metal guys like a trebly cutting sound, and then I would recomend SWR.

Go start to try stuff out!:)

5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    If you have alot of $$!

Peavey TNT's arent bad. Ampeg, Eden, SWR are also some other good options. Thats just me thought ;) :)

6. BassMann2112

BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    Aguilar, Ampeg, Ashdown, Eden, EBS,
    Genz Benz, Gallien Krueger, Gloklang, Hevos, Hughes and Kettner, Mesa Boogie, Polytone, SWR, Trace Elliot, Walter Woods. It really depends on your style and where you plan on playing. Also what you like. I would try to pick up a Trace Elliot rig. They are really cheap right now due to the demise of TE.
    Good Luck :D