1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Ampeg Cab choice help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by skoora, Dec 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. skoora

skoora

Feb 2, 2006
    I’m new to owning bass gear (Long time guitar player) and just got a GK800rb that I want to probably pair with an Ampeg 4x10. I like old school rock and metal tones and will not be mid scooping the GK and also pushing it into slight overdrive and heavy dirt at times. It seems Ampeg cabs have gone through a lot of changes over the years, where they’re made, speakers used, etc and I can’t find a decent timeline or history of the cab changes. I’m fairly certain I just want a 410HE and don’t need the HLF (just playing at home and recording). Can the wattage of the cab give away the era or where it was made/speakers used? I’ve seen some that are rated at 800, 500 and 400 watts. I don’t want a scooped, bass heavy speaker. Any input greatly appreciated.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you ask me, the era to get one is from 2007-present, and only the SVT 410he. The ones made in the 90's sound terrific, but they're made with OSB chipboard instead of plywood. Now there are a lot of chipboard 410he's still around, but they are very susceptible to water damage, stripped screws, and punctures if hit hard enough. nd the ones made from 2000-06 have speakers that are too dark in the highs and too deep in the lows IMHO. So my advice is try to find one made by LOUD Technologies.

SwitchGear likes this.
  3. skoora

skoora

Feb 2, 2006

Do the serial numbers tell you the year they were made?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    They do. For cabs made between 1988 and 2008, check the 5th digit...

A: 1988
    B: 1989

Etc.

For cabs made between 2008-present, the location of the digit changes, but is usually somewhere between the 9th and 12th digit. It's a little more confusing, and that's why I suggested just to look for cabs made by LOUD and not St. Louis Music, but other than that, same basic thing:

A: 2008
    B: 2009

Etc.

5. skoora

skoora

Feb 2, 2006
    Ended up getting a GK 4x10. Found a store with a decent selection of used cabs including an Ampeg 2x12 and decided on the GK.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well at least it'll match :D GK makes good stuff. Have fun!