1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need an 18-volt preamp....suggestions??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by seanreiter, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Well, the preamp on my Warwick Streamer Stage II is jacked up and I need to replace it. I've been trying to get a replacement from Wariwick for the past year, but they refused to return my emails, calls, etc. So.....I'm hoping to replace the stock preamp with something nice, if not, nicer. I don't want to lose the SSII tone, or at least, too much of it. Does anyone have a suggestion? Has anyone ever replaced a stock SSII preamp and liked it and/or found the tone comparable? Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know the specs for the SSII preamp? :rollno:

2. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    I would buy an Aguilar OBP-3, to my ears it sounds better than the stock MEC preamps on Warwicks.

3. I agree that Aguilar is the way to go. If you want a three band the OBP - 3 is great. I like two band eq's so my choice would be either the OBP -1 or 2.

4. Oh ok cool. I've read a lot about aguilar preamps over the years, but never actually played a bass with an aguilar in it. i'll read up further. thanks so much.

how about replacing the MEC p/ups? Right now, I am torn because I love my Tobias w/ the Bartolini, but also love my Spector with the EMGs. Any suggestions?

5. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    MEC pickups are ok.
    They're like a mix between Seymour Duncan and EMG's.

6. malicous

malicous

Apr 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I have an OBP-2, and I find it to be rather noisy when boosting the treble. If this is not an issue for you, it is a very good sounding pre, but if it is, I think that the Bartolini 18v circuits might be quieter.

7. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
  8. Read up on the Demeter BEQP-1.

In my dealings with the Demeter people, I gathered that the preamps are built to order as far as pots and operating voltages go. It can be wired for 9v - 27v, and they are very flexible if you need one of the pots to be stacked or something like that.

I've got one, wired for 18v, in a jazz and it was a vast improvement over the stock fender pre (not saying much), but it is definitely one of the most natural sounding onboard preamps I've worked with, as far as the EQ section goes.