Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need an amp for my band

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Jul 26, 2001.

1. I am in a punk band that actually functions now. The guitarist has 2 Marshall half stacks. He (usually) plays through 1. He also has some sort of Crate bass half stack thing. I think it might be a 4x12 cab with some sort of Crate head. Its ok, but I want something of my own. Right now, Im looking for something relatively loud to compete with a distorted guitar through half stacks.

As Im only just considering it right now, price is no option. But be reasonable, as Im not going to get a $1500 SWR.

I like a kind of bright, but bassy sound. On my little Squier I have the low up to about 0, the mid at about -8 and the high at about +10. I dont like a sound with a lot of mid range, or mud. I dont like real rumbly sound either.

Im open to combos or heads and cabs. Im really just looking for all possible options. Used or new.

And does anyone know of any good places to find used stuff?

2. how much are you willing to spend?

3. Um...Im not quite sure what Im willing to spend yet. Certainly not thousands of dollars, but more than $100. Im THINKING about $500. As much as $700. Depending on if I can get a 'real' job soon or whatever. Im definitely willing to go used. I can almost guarantee Ill go that route. Its cheaper, and stuff a little beat up looks cooler. :)

And the Crate the guitarist lets me use isnt a 4x12. Its too small. Its got a head. I think it might say XK 160 on it? The cab has 2 smaller cabs within it. So it appears. I think there's 2 speakers in each half cab. I really don't know.

Anyway...goodbye and thank you in advance

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    would you like a 410, or a 15, or a 210 and 115...?
    If the guitar player is playing through 2 halfstacks, i think you need a lot of power. All of the guitar players i played with only use 40-120 watt combos. I would suggest peavey for that price range. You could probably get a peavey 1820 (a cab with 1 18" and 2 10s) or a 1516(115 +2 8s) for 175-250 bucks. I found a 1516 in a pawn shop for 175 once, and they are usually that price. You probably want a medium-high watt head (300+) to go along with it. That is just one option, but i think you'll have trouble finding something to beat out double half stacks for $500. I know, you could find an Acoustic amp and cab {like a 360 or a 470(be sure there is a head and cab.)} They are bigger than hell, but the cab comes with wheels. I'm not sure, but i think the 360 has a 300 watt head and usually comes with a 1 18- horn cab.

5. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    How powerful are the heads on those guitar half-stacks? If they're 100W each you're going to need at the very minimum 600W and an 8x10 to be able to bust your way through that kind of power.

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    do you think that "XK" could be "GK"?

7. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I don't recall Gallien Krueger offering a 160RB.

8. I know that it is a Crate. There is no G in the name. And, well, it looks like I have a looooooooot of saving to do. For now Ill play the Crate. It works fine. It just not the sound I _really_ want. And I want somethin thats MINE. *greedy action* :)

Anyway, just keep suggesting things. Im open to (almost) anything.

9. GK amps give probably what you're after in a small, lightweight and powerful package...plus they go cheap on eBay or used. Plenny of punk bands use 'em...

If you're after a non-middy sound, running a rig with mainly 10" speakers may not be the best...probably a 2x10 + 1x15 would be the best (crisp-ish highs and defined midrange from the 2x10, bass balls from the 1x15, or 1x18).

The bonus with GK amps (even the lowly 400RB) is that they have bi-amp capability built-in...run the high output to the 2x10, the low into the 1x15, hey presto!

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    300 watts minimum. Against two half-stacks, I'd agree with the 600-watt thing. This is going to be Carvin to stay anywhere near your price objective. )ne 410 and one 115 oughtta take care of the cabs.

11. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Only the 800RB and the 2001RB are bi-ampable to separate cabinets. The 700RB, 1001RB, and 2001RB have separate 50W amplifiers that can be used to power the horns in GK cabinets only.
    The 400RB is not bi-ampable and does not have the separate 50W amplifier.

12. Huh? Why then when i've played thru 400RB's that there's a low and high output on the back? Not splitting hairs, but to most people it looks and works like a bi-amp...

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    id agree with goin thecarvin route...they have some good priced combos and their stuff dont sound bad either

14. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I have never seen a 400RB with low and high speaker output jacks. Are you sure it wasn't an 800RB?

15. Well, it looks as though I might have to increase my price range. Hmm...maybe $1000-1300? Im not sure. Its a lot of money, but Im going to have to spend it eventually. Somehow I managed to get my parents' support on this. They FINALLY see that Im serious about this music thing, as the band, "Last on the Menu" will be recording, trying to get shows, and trying to make money.

Anyway, just keep suggesting things. Youve been helpful.

16. Oh, and weight and size arent that much of an issue. My dad has a truck to carry stuff in. And my bandmates would help, as we all have to carry each others' stuff. As far as the practice space goes, its a really big garage. And at my house, I have a lot of room, as theres nothing more than a bed a shelf and my gear in my room.

Sure, a light box might be easy to carry but if it sounds like ass, its not worth it.

17. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    Once you get to the $1000 range you can get some pretty nifty stuff. For about $1100 you can get a Peavey 4x12 with a Firebass head. That will give you nearly 500 watts of very powerful, low end bass. The only problem is that those 4x12 cabs are heavy as ****!

18. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Your new range falls neatly around that Carvin rig I mentioned. It's 1000 watts with a 4x10 and a 1x18. I use the 600w variety with a 2x10 and 1x18. I like mine, but I am not sure if you can use what I have going against two 4x12 guitar cabs. That is why I recommend the larger rig.

But if you want a nice compromise between power and portability. This one is hard to beat (it's the one that I use!!:

http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/get.e...Str=(I.ItemNumber='RC210-18')+AND+(CID2='BA')

Good luck!!

19. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i second gabu's motion. also look at the carvin 1000W/8x10 rig. that's what i'd go with, even though that 8x10 is big and heavy. lighter than most 8x10's though. all the carvin stuff will be the best deal for the $. the only carvin i've ever heard in person is the cyclops. i thought it kicked a$$. seriously.

peavy firebass + 4x12 would also work, but i think you get more watts and speakers with carvin for the same $.