Need an amp(not speakers) for less than $600 and atleast 300W

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nunk6, Sep 6, 2000.

1. nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    hey its almost birthday time and i'm going to upgrade from my 220W acoustic head to something nicer for less than 600-700 what amp should i get for a good tone i play a fender P; and one that is atleast 300W
    iwas looking into Gallien-Krueger, Hartke, SWR what else is there?!
  2. You can also look into Peavey's Firebass and you can explore a pre-amp / power amp setup.

Good luck - John
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    If you are looking for a louder amp I don't think the difference between 220W and 300W is as big as you might think it is. It's got something to do with diminishing returns. But for $570 you could get a Carvin R600 (300W per side at 2 ohms, 600W mono-bridged at 4ohms) or for $650 get a Carvin R1000 (500W per side at 2ohms, 1000W mono-bridged at 4ohms).
  4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually, you can get an Eden WT-300 for close to that if you cut a good deal at GC. Why settle for less?
  6. Of course, you should get a used Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+. All tube 500watts. Yeah it will tear your house apart ;)

7. mr t

mr t

Aug 24, 2000
    manhattan, ks
    i bought a used swr sm-400 from bass northwest a few years ago for $600 and have been absolutely pleased with it. personally, i'd look at the used ones because you're going to be able to get more amp for the $.
  8. TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    Take a look at an Ampeg B2R. (350 w. at 4 ohms.) I've owned one for a couple of years and have been well pleased. It offers a nice range of tone and can be bought new for $500 /550.00.

Good Hunting
  9. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I'll second the vote for a used SM-400. I just got one for around $500 and am amazed with the thing. Loud as all heck with plenty of headroom and most importantly , TONE.

I saw one that closed on ebay recently for about $450 so it's getting closer to the magic buck a watt range.
  10. YOu said you owned an Acoustic 220W. Why not buy an acoustic 370. I got mine on ebay for about $500. That seems to be their average price on ebay, as I've looked at ALOT of auctions for such things.

I certianly like it! :D
  11. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000
    Yea I agree with TonyS, the b2-r is an extreemly
    good amp. It's got power, and tonal flexability.
    Check into hartke stuff as well. I like ampeg's preferably
    but that's me.

Bottom line: Check everything out :)

Greg P

P.S. check out used ampeg's expecially the V-4b's.
    100 watts of tube, and they sell relativley cheap.
    I've seen em sell for 200. The only thing with that,
    is you gotta take em to a tech to check em out.
    I bought a used ampeg SVT-300. Basicly the power section
    of an SVT. All it needed was for the hum control to be adjusted,
    the balance control to be adjusted, and to be rebiased. 65 bucks. Old ampeg stuff is worth checkin into. If you live in Maryland check out atomic music they have a ton of it.
  12. if you want loud, and reasonably cheap, any older tube amp, they have THE best tone available and havent been inflated at horribly as the basses from that era. I got a real nice traynor for $500 (i know its a lot, but its real rare and has new tubes and has been checked out by good tech guys. Mesa's are ok, but the have 12 power tubes, which will be a lot to pay every few years, and the tone isnt a true tube rock sound.
  13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Try out a Peavey Firebass 700. You can pick up a brand new one right in your price range. I have tried out several other brands that are WAY more expensive, and I found that the Peavey could do about anything that they could do (more in some cases). I am running one with an 810tx(peavey) cabinet, and have been totally pleased with everything about it.