Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need an amp NOW and don't know where to start.......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikarre, May 20, 2003.

1. mikarre

mikarre Guest

Sorry, I know these questions are asked over and over. I really did do a search but couldn't find much that really addressed my issues. I NEED a bass amp right now (or soon anyways), I am currently playing through an old Crate guitar amp. I'm not looking for a stack just yet, just a respectable combo. It will be essentially a practice amp, but I'd like it to be powerful enough to play with a group and modest volumes.

The problem is, I have no idea how powerful of an amp I need. I had a thread about this a few weeks ago, but I ended up a little more confused that when I started. If I were playing in a band with loud guitars I would shoot for 300-400 watts, probably in head and cab form. But I don't need that right now. With these little combos, I don't know where to start. How far will I get with 100 watts? 125? Actually, I'm leaning towards the Ashdown Electric Blue with the 12" speaker @150 watts, but I'd like to have a few less expensive options. Also, I would not be able to hear it before buying it. I was also thinking of the Genz Benz 200 watt combo.

So, if anyone has a second, give me some ideas of some mid-wattage, not huge, combos and also what I can do with them. I don't want an amp that would only be good for playing on my own, and I don't need a massively loud stack. Just something in the middle. Like I said, something I can use to practice, but also powerful enough to lug off to jam with friends on the weekends.

One more thing...I bought a Carvin PB100-10 and was not too happy with it. It sounded "too clean" or something. It was a nice amp, but I like a more woody or grainier sound (I was going to use the word "sultry" but didn't want to sound silly). I sent it back. I don't know if this helps anything, but I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes you do. If you were playing in a band with loud guitars, you'd need 600 watts minimum. One or two hundred watts will leave you with inadequate headroom, even for small gigs. Try a Fender Bassman 400 or a used Eden Metro or a used SWR Super Redhead. It'll cost you a little more up front, but you won't be buying a replacement amp in three months, which is what you'll do if you buy 200 watts now.

3. It really depends on how much your willing to spend. There are ALOT of great combos out there, but it would be easier to answr your question if i knew how much you were willing to spend, and what kind of features your looking for.

Some suggestions and prices are....

SWR WM 15 - around $1000 - 200watts

SWR Redhead - around $1800 - 350 watts (450 with ext. cab)

Eden CXC 112 - around $1200 - 230 watts

Or... for something cheaper... check out some Peavy, or Yorkville combos.

It really (once again) depends on what your really looking at.

Does speaker config. REALLY matter to you?
    How much power do you really need to keep up with?

I persoanlly say.... if you play in a band with 2 other guitars (lets say at 100 watts each) I would play with a good 250 watts to be able to keep up with no clipping.

I hope this might be able to help the slightest bit...

~Zentner

4. It all depends on how "loud" your guitarists are playing at.

Do you mean 50 watts "loud"?

Do you mean 300 watts "loud"?

Do you mean 500+ watts "loud?"?

If your guitarists play out of 50 watts... i'd be lookin for around 250 watts.

If your guitarist asre playing anywhere near 300watts.... i'd suggest something like... 750 watts of power????

If they've got a big rig.... i'd be lookin at a QSC amp, and a pre. of your choice.

It depends on how "loud" your really talkin'

~Zentner

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Peavey TNT or combo 115

or go look at carvin.com

6. Well... That all depends on the speakers.

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I would suggest considering what's available - and fixable - locally. Which 'parts unknown' do you come from?

What have you tried, and how did it sound with your bass? You mentioned that you're playing through a Crate guitar amp at the moment - how does that measure up in terms of loudness? If you're always turning it up full and still can't be heard you need to... well, actually, you probably need to get everyone else to turn down and you definitely need to get ear plugs. If it is only a little bit too quiet but you want a better tone, then that might give you some ideas of the level of power you require.

Wulf

8. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

And what kind of sound you want. If you want a lot of deep clear bottom, you need a lot of power. It you want more mids and less bottom, you can get away with less power. One 300 watt SVT with an 8x10 will crush 2 guitars provided you want the sound of an overdriven amp.

My rule of thumb is buy more than you think you need.

9. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    So if the Carvin sounds too 'clean', maybe you are looking for more of an old-school sound. I would suggest taking a look at the venerable Ampeg B100R, which is almost universally lauded at talkbass. It's only 100W, but those that have them will attest to their effectiveness in a band situation. The tone comes as close to "sultry" as any amp, assuming that term means to me what it does to you: "warm and smooth like butter, without any clicky highs"

I think BassNW has them on sale right now.

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    The Ampeg B100-R is good. I use mine a lot, and usually do not have volume issues. I know you didn't like the Carvin PB-10, but you might like Carvin's RC210. That's 600w into two 10s, which is pretty cool. I played a bunch of shows with that.

On the other hand, getting a stack isn't that expensive if you use Avatar cabs. ;)

11. mikarre

mikarre Guest

I was looking at that amp online. It seems pretty good, and it's in my price range. How does the BA115 compare? They are both 100 watts w/15" speaker, but a little different in design.

12. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The B100R is more "sultry" :)

That's the best way to put it. They're both good products, but the BA will be more like the Carvin product.

I'm guessing the B100R would meet your needs pretty well.

13. mikarre

mikarre Guest

I did some searching after reading your posts, and it looks like it could be exactly what I'm looking for. I read a lot of reviews where guys talked about using them for smaller gigs and mic'ing it for bigger ones. The only things I wish it had was a canon jack style line out, but the 1/4" jack ought to be okay, or mic it.

There is an Ampeg dealer around here, I'm going to see if I can check one out over the weekend. If they don't stock them, at least I'll know there is a place to get it serviced if I have to get it online.

Thanks, man!