1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need An Amp Recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Corona, May 12, 2011.

1. Corona

Corona

Apr 29, 2011
    I recently bought a new 5-string bass guitar. I plugged it into my practice amp (my only amp), and it sounded fine at low volume. But at middle volume, the amp can't handle tones lower than E.

So, I'm wondering what's a good amp for a 5-string bass?
    Here are my requirements:
    High Priority
    • budget is around $1000-1500
    • is brand new
    • is loud enough for playing in a concert hall that seats about 1100 people.
    • combo amp or cabinet(s) + head
    • each piece of equipment should be around 40 lbs. or less (or is this too unrealistic of a requirement?)

Low Priority
    • solid state
    • good enough for many different styles of music like rock, jazz, pop, etc.

Update-------------
    After evaluating the posts, here is a list of what I am thinking about buying.
    • Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + pair of Avatar SB112 Neo’s
    • Gallien Krueger 700RB-II + Gallien Krueger 115MBX + Gallien Krueger 210MBX
    • Gallien Krueger MB212
    • Markbass CMD Mini 121P

2. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    I love my Avatar 4x10 cabinet. I also have a 2x15 that I use sometimes. the Avatar speakers "speak" very clearly, and they are light as heck! I could pick up the 2x15 by myself if the cab wasnt' so wide.

I run a Yamaha PS3500 (I think that is the number) power amp into a Sans Amp rack mount pre-amp and a BBE Sonic Maximizer. VEry simple set up, but have played everything from a small punk dive bar to a medium size venue with it.

I only use 4 strings, but my band tunes half-step down, and then I also tune down to "D" (well, Eb I guess) for some of the songs

3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Pick up a SWR Redhead combo.. You could pick up a 1x15 or 2x10 extension cabinet and have a system to use for all your gigs big and small and still be under your $1000 side of your budget. Also, the Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 would be a great choice as well.

4. Well theres a huge line of not too heavy amos out right now. That's kind of been the craze. If you want new I would look into the Gallien Krueger combos, Ashdown combos, and the new Ampeg PF combos. For $1500 I think you'll come out with the best with one of those brands. Others are bit pricey. If you just wanna go with a head and then buy a cabinet..... I recommend the Ampeg PF500 and the cabinet of your choice. There's a million of them out there. Avatar makes great cabs for slightly cheaper than others. Carvin makes some good stuff for a good price too.

5. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    What you need is power, and multiple speakers. Your budget is plenty enough to buy a good bass rig, new or used. Pick based on tonal preferences, (use your ears), just don't skimp on the speakers.

7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    GREAT choice. Although you'll likely never need it, you can add another cab to that head because it operates safely @ 2 ohms.

8. Corona

Corona

Apr 29, 2011
    I updated my original post by being more specific about my requirements. I will usually not consider 4x10 cabinets since those are usually too heavy in weight to me.

Keep the responses coming, and thanks for your quick responses!

9. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    my 4x10 Avatar weighs less than my bass drum in its case (I play drums as well...)

10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    More challenging now. I'd still go with the Carvin B2000 head because IMO it's the best head in it's price range.

Cab choices... The Carvin is about 650.00 out of your budget so you have about 850.00 for cabs on the high-end of your range. That can buy you one GREAT cab or two decent cabs.

11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Avatar is selling Genz Benz amps at discount prices now when coupled with one of his bass cabs. You could get a Shuttle 6.0 and a pair of SB112 NEO's and be well within your budget. How about a Shuttle 9.0 and a TB153 cab? Killer mini-stacks!!

clik on BASS CABS link.

12. Corona

Corona

Apr 29, 2011
    The Carvin B2000 looks very promising. I like that fact that it can handle 2, 4, and 8 ohms. What cabinet(s) do you think would take advantage of this head's power?

13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    You know, it really has more power than you'll ever need but it doesn't hurt to have it on tap as long as you watch your volume/EQ. Those fEARFUl cabs looks nice, see what one of those guys can quote you! Like I said though, if you get a GREAT cab, you'll only have money for one cab. If that's ok, get a great cab.