Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need an amp that....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Jan 16, 2004.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    runs roughly 1000 watts at 4 ohms. so far the only amps i can think of or have seen is the sunn 1200s and an ashdown amp (forget the make). but i cant have it be very pricey, i need something relativley cheap. ill need it to have at least 2 individual speaker outs to be able to run aguilar 212 and 210 (both 8 ohm). what do you all think?

my only other option is a pre/power amp situation. i dont really understand that stuff though...so yea.

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Ashdown ABM900.

3. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Sounds like you would benefit the most from a pre/power set-up.
    not too much to figure out. get a decent preamp(boosts you bass signal up enough to drive a power amp to full level and gives tone shaping abilities) and then get a power amp that will meet your specs you mention.

Really simple actually.

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    any pre/power amp suggestions?

i was thinking of going ashdown? i think the ashdown would sound good with the aggies? i dont know though. thanks.

5. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    There are so many options.

It could depend on a specific sound,
    your budget,
    how much weight you want to carry,
    etc.

putting the pieces together is easy, making the selections however can be tough.

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    BBE BMAX preamp + QSC RMX850 (or RMX1450) power amp:

* cheap
    * sounds great
    * reliable

[could substitute Tech 21 RBI preamp for BBE...a little more money and a little more versatile, but personally, I think the BMax sounds better]

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    yea choices are tough, theres so much. and thanks for the suggestion lo-freq ill look into that.

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ashdown preamp + QSC PLX amp. Lightweight!

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Ashdown heads or preamps have a very warm, tubey sound, still maintaining a powerful low end.

I haven't heard the Agie GS212 + GS210. Just my personal taste but I think the Ash + Ag 2 (or more) x12 would be too dark sounding.
    I played through a DB750 driving a GS112 + GS210 and they sounded really good.
    If you get an Ashdown whatever + Agies I would recommend either the 1x12 + 2x10 or a pair of 2x10 or a 4x10. I think the low end would sound much tighter with any of those.

GK's would probably sound good with the same Ag options, as would a number of pre/power amp combinations (though an Ampeg SVP-Pro (or Kern) + the Ag's would be running really warm/dark again -- probably would want straight nx10" setup with either of those).

Looks like Peavey is making some good "Pro" series amps, not sure how much the street price would be.

If at all possible, listen to as many different amp/speaker combinations as you can using your main bass(es). There lots of good sounding stuff out there.
    The main thing to remember is that a really good sounding bass system is very much about the synergy of the different components blended together. The sound of each piece should complement all the others to give you the tone(s) you're after.

Good luck.

10. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    well thanks everyone for your help and input.

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    There's also the new Carvin B1500. 1250 W @ 4 ohms, 1900 W @ 2 ohms. I haven't played it, but if it's anything like their old PB500, it should be nice and fat. It's not shipping yet AFAIK, but it should be soon.

Because this amp is not shipping yet, you should take both positive hype and negative hype about it with a grain of salt. Basically, nobody knows much about it yet. But dang ... 1900 W @ 2 ohms. So much power just can't be wrong!:D :bassist:

12. ostrzoskrzydly

ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    Ashdown ABM900 is 1150 watts at 2 ohms (4 ohms * 2 channels) and approx 800 at 4 (2*800. Note that it can't be internally bridged, so it has no mono operation. So if you don't have the cabs yet, it would be better to get the 4 ohm versions for it

13. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
  14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Find a used Stewart 1.2 (one rack space). I have the Ashdown preamp and it kills. You can find them used for under $500.

The GK 1001 would be a great choice as well.

15. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    so many options. ill think ill amp style. however that ashdown pre and a crown sounds mighty good.

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Ashdown RPM-1 with the Crest has turned out to be an unbelievable match for me. You get the deep, thick sound of the Ashdown with the clear super power of the Crest. A definate winning combonation.

17. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    hows the high end on that righ? is sounds like to me that ashdowns are low end machine, but not very good on teh highs and mids?

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would definately disagree with that. It has a very good tone shaping eq. You can shape the low mid, mid and high mids as well as two bands of the higher frequencies. Different tubes will change the sound quite a bit as well. I just tried three different tubes and all resulted in a different mid and treble character.

19. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    what kind of tubes did you try and what sounds did they give. which ones did you pick?