Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need an amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fleabass89, May 15, 2001.

1. After weighing the ros nd cons extensively, I've come to the conclusion that I need an amp. But I'm having trouble deciding on which kind to get. I played through a Genz Benz 250 W combo and i LOVED it. $630 though:( don't have that kind of money. I've heard good things about the Ampeg BA-115 and the Carvin PB200.

My main concern is, am I going to be heard through a loud drummer and a guitarist with distortion?
    How's the tone of either of these amps?
    Would they work for small-medium gigs?
    If you have another recommendation, please say it. My limit is about $500.

2. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    man, that's hard. the ampeg sounds good. i haven't heard the carvin. i think you'll always feel a little like you need more power when playing with distorted guitars and drums - i always did when i had my 120W SWR Basic Black.

i'd say find a way to afford the genz benz! heh. here's another idea, even if it is a little out of your price range. you can get a hartke 2000 head and a 2x10 transporter from sam ash for like 685 with shipping. the advantage there is the upgradability (is that a word?). from there you can get a new head or cab anytime you want and not have to buy both at once. whereas, if you bought a combo and wanted to upgrade, you'd have a head and cab to buy...but anyway, back to the question...

oh, check sam ash for the ashdown combos...i think you can get 130W, 15" + horn for a little over 500. those are nice sounding amps.

3. LiL BaSS DuDe

LiL BaSS DuDe Guest

May 15, 2001
    Scotland,
    hehe!

Just before i bought my bass, I got to try it on a 800W Marshell! It was sweet!
    Mind you, my AMP still gives a nice sound:)

Thing is, the Marshell was about $1100-$1220!

4. I have an Ampeg BA-115. It's sounds good, especially if you need the lows for a five. It has one significant flaw, though. It has almost no volume if you set the eq anywhere near flat. With the eq set at just a bit of low boost, I had to turn the volume and gain up past halfway just to play in my VERY conservative church's band. I think you could do better.

5. Well, i suggest buying a used half stack. If you shop around, you can find a decent head for as little as $250, although they generally run a little more. I suggest looking at Hartke 300, 2000, and 3500, Ampeg B2R, and SWR workingman heads, as those are pretty common and they can be found used quite often. Also, if you search around on E-Bay, and www.ugbm.com , you can also find a decent 2x10 or 1x15 for >$250! So there ya go, a good started rig for about $500, good deal to start, and less than the genz benz combo. I do suggest looking at genz benz cabs, they are a great value.. Their 1x15 retails for $250 NEW, and their 2x10 is about 300 New... good stuff!

6. i have the carvin pb200. i just bought this so it'll hold me over until i get something bigger and better because my main amp croaked.

i can hear myself fine with the carvin. my guitarist has a marshall 212 100w, but he doesn't turn it up too much (only to 2 or 3). and my drummer is a crazy SOB (loud!). the carvin is doing ok, although i'm buying a hartke 3500 w/a 410 soon...this'll blow the carvin away.

just add an extension cab to the pb200. it helps alot.

7. They are indeed! I played through one about 3 weeks ago. This is a VERY warm sounding amp, however, I didn't crank it.

Mike J.

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I bought a Carvin Cyclops for $475... that is 600w into a 15, 2x8 and a horn.

That would do the trick for you I think. Here is another vote for used. :)

9. Whoa Gabu, sounds like a super deal, congrats. After you put it through its paces, would you give a short review?

Thanks,
    Mike J.

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Oh, man.... take my word for it... Do a search on Cyclops and RC210 and you will get reviews from TBers up the wazoo!

:)

Quite a few of the heavy posters here use one of those two which are the same amp with a different speaker config. In fact, Rickbass1 owns one of each.

In a nutshell.

Very good bang for the buck. Good range of sound. I really like the biamping feature. It's pretty much loud enough for any application I can imagine... of course I have never played any arenas... but for less than $1000 brand new this is the biggest steal around. It's very durable and NOT very portable. For better portability, I prefer the RC210. These amps are great workhorses.