Need an amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 87octane_, Jul 18, 2001.

1. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    I've recently formed a very small garage band, and since it's my first band, I don't quite have all the equipment together yet.
    I need a bigger amp, for one. I want something that will do a nice growly bass justice, but nothing too big; it's just a garage band. My friend said that Hartke amps kind of give the sound of the lower keys on a piano, and to me, that sounds like it could translate into growl very easily. Would Hartke be the way to go, or is there a better choice?
  2. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Use your ears. I personally dislike hartke. Other brands to check out may be SWR, Ampeg, Carvin, Trace Elliot, or Crate.
  3. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    That's the problem, though. I can't use my ears, because no one keeps a selection of larger amps in their shops around here. I don't suppose there's anywhere i could go on the internet to compare soundclips of the amps, is there?
  4. welcome to TB man....
    You should fill out your info so we can leran more about you, your style, your equiptment....

By the way, check out nemesis combos...good price, loud sound, nice tone, and very portable...
  5. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    I filled out my info a little for ya, but it won't really help, cuz I'm planning on trading my bass in on a carvin lb-75 soon, and obviously, I'm planning on getting rid of my amp, also. I was kinda trying to break away from combos and get a cab and some kind of head.
    As far as style, mostly I just play rock and metal type stuff.
  6. How much do you have to spend? Got a preference on speakers???(ie:8", 10", 12", 15", 18"...????)
  7. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    I don't suppose I would be able to get anything decent, yet kinda small, for under $1500? I'm about screwed otherwise.
    As far as speakers, I really don't have any preference, because i haven't played on much else besides my small combo amp, and it's a single 10. What would you reccomend?
  8. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    You have A LOT of options with a budget of $1500.

Do you have a Guitar Center or Mars Music near you? I would definately try to visit one, even if it is an hour away. Actually listening to yourself through an amp or speaker cab can, and most of the time does, provide a much more accurate evaluation of whether that piece of equipment suits your personal tastes than any recommendations we can give you.
  9. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
  10. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Here's another vote for the Ampeg B-100R or its brother, the BA-115. Lotta volume and great tone for the money.
  11. 1500..thats plenty. You could probably buy the best amp in the area you are looking at for that price. If you want somehting around say 200 watts, id suggest checking out the Fender Bassman 200. 200 watts into a 15" speaker. Plenty loud, and it sounds very punchy with lots of EQ options etc...I know you oculd find somehting growly within that amp. It also has a compression switch and room balance witch is great for slapping, or adding beef or taking it away based on the room...

Otherwise, just go somewhere with lots of amps and try them all out.