Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need an impressive bass solo

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kombucha, Oct 17, 2002.

1. hello my names jenny...and i'm going to be auditioning for music college in 2 months...and I have yet to find an awesome piece of music that will satisfy my audience. My first selection will be 'Touchin all the Basses' by Andy clark...but I need help with the second...any suggestions would be awesome...thanks again:p

2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Try a little tune called The Awakening by The Reddings (otis reddings sons). I think Jimi Hendrix and Les claypool also do covers of it so tab should be fairly easy to find. It's truly an awesome tune. Covers alot of fingerstyle and slap. Hope this helped.;)

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    try out cliffengel.com

you can get the music to the purple haze solo that michael manring does.

4. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    What are the requirements of yoursolo, and where is your skill level?

I'd suggest Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) by Cliff Burton on Metallica's Kill 'Em All album, but due to its Heavy Metal nature, it might not be appropriate. It depends on the prudishness of your school.

My second suggestion would be Quahogs Anyone? (119, 120 Whatever It Takes) by Stuart Hamm on his The Urge album.

I have a few solo bassists' albums. If I better understood what you are looking for, I could suggest more.

5. hmm.. this isn't really a tablature request eh ?

this post seems more " Miscelanous"-ish to me..

* moved :) *

6. I agree.. Go for something by Stu Hamm!
    Such as: Sleigh Ride, Moonlight Sonata, Peanut's Theame..

or, you could check out "Yes" bassist.. crap! I've forgotten his name.. < slaps hands > :(

G'luck with college ;)

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    chris squire, ya mean?

8. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    It may take a bit of transposing (depending on if you're playing an extended range bass or not) but the J.S. Bach cello sonatas work really well on electric bass and I think they'd be suitable for such an audition. No. 1 can be played at written pitch with a combination of tapping and fingerstyle technique. The sonatas cover a large area of the range of the bass, just make sure you practice with a metronome. If you'd like to take a look at the sheet music you can pm or email me and I'll try to locate them online.

9. Classical Thump- Victor Wooten :eek:

:D:D

Merls

10. Spain, as played by Stanley Clarke. No, wait a minute, if you can play the solo in Spain you dont need to go to college!