Need an OD

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mxbassman, Sep 12, 2005.

1. mxbassman

Sep 7, 2005
    North Dakota
    Ive been looking for a decent cheap overdrive/distortion pedal and i've pretty much narrowed it down to three....the Boss ODB-3, the Digitech bass driver, and the Ibanez Phat Hed. I don't have a music store anywhere nearby so i can't really test any pedals out. :mad: So i'm mainly basing my decision on sound clips and reviews that i've read. So any info or past experiences that anybody has with any of those pedals would be awesome.
  2. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I dont like the PD-7. bought it used

if that helps
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Try out the DOD Overdrive 250.
  4. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    +1 for the DOD250 nice cheap pedal you can play with and not break the bank with buying on a whim. I've also heard that the Bad Monkey OD is a pretty nice bang for the buck OD
  5. jamesblue

jamesblue Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Central Maryland
    I hear you, I went 3 years trying to find a very good box.
    My conclusion is the:

Fulltone Bass Drive II

It's the best out there IMO. It's about $200 bones but it shoud be the last od/distorsion you'll buy for a bass. You can order from there web site or wher I got mine was
    It has a on/off and a boost, and the bost does just that slams you up a few notches. You can get old classic OD or modern metal out if this thing. I use it live and in my home studio with good success.

I play guitar too, guitar pedals for the most part don't work for bass freqs, if you blend them with a direct sig then they likely will.

6. The BOSS OD is really, really good. I can go from a warm fuzz to a harsh cutting shreak.
  7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Well, the concensus here is that the Ibanez and DOD units are good and the Boss isn't too hot.

So maybe you should try the first two. Or you can get a Fulltone and remove all doubts.

I have a Digitech Bass Driver and an American Woman and love them both.

I'll let you know how my Sansamp GT2 and Frantone Fuzz turn out :)
  8. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    the boss is terrible. sounds weird. not like an overdrive to my ears. havent tried the others. just figured to save my money and go for a bassdrive once and for all
  9. xxajr8xx

Aug 31, 2005
    i would recomend the digitech bass driver
    the only other thing i have to say is get the power supply for it b/c it sucks up 9v i mean it still lasts a good amount of time so...
    idk your choice :D