Need an opinion Sterling SUB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Dec 27, 2016.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
  2. pappabass

pappabass Inactive

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    My son has a Sterling Ray 34, it rocks, tone is a little bright for me, but I am old school

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
  4. A Sterling Ray 34 isn`t the same bass, it`s sort of between this one and a full MM. The one in the pic is the Sub, cheaper than the Ray 34.

Decent enough bass but the pre amp is a pain as it is so hot that it can overload the front end of your amp. There is a long topic with ways of fixing the, for some people, the problem.

I have one and apart from the pre amp it is a good bass, well made, nicely finished. But I ripped out the pre amp, stuck in a Wilkinson pickup, had it re wired passive with a series/parallel switch, stuck in a set of Schaller tuners and it rocks.

pappabass, jd56hawk and vivaknoxvegas like this.
  5. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    I have the black/maple 5 string model...yes, the pre is hot, but I was able to get around it by lowering the pickup almost flush with the body. Other than that, no complaints -- the neck profile and string spacing are great for me.

6. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I own the exact same model posted by the OP. It's a SBMM SUB SB4. It's very light-weight and sounds about like the other SUB ray models. I replaced the bridge on mine with a smaller more modern MM style bridge. I paid $209 brand-new on discount from a major retailer.

7. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Sounds like he's got it too high, and he states "firm". Thank you all.

8. Guitar Center is selling the black one for $179.00 on clearance. I just ordered one yesterday. Get it while it's hot.

Sterling by Music Man S.U.B. SB4 Electric Bass Guitar

9. pappabass

pappabass Inactive

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
  10. AndreasR

AndreasR

Oct 23, 2012
    It's a great bass for a better price if you manage to overcome the hot pickup.

11. willsellout

willsellout I apologize in advance. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I just lowered the pickup the one I owned and didn't have any issues. there is always the volume knob....

walldaja likes this.
  12. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    I'm you're price range, I bet a Yamaha bass would be perfect. Yamaha is very exacting in their instrument making, on all instruments. I see a used rbx360 for under $200. I haven't played it, but I'd make a bet on it.

13. beefbrisket

beefbrisket Guest

May 2, 2017
    I got a Sterling Sub4 with hardshell case today (used) at GC for $217. Black, maple neck.

pappabass likes this.
  14. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard.

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Also, keep in mind this year's SUB's now have a new preamp that has an even volume knob. Yes it is still pretty hot, but now you can turn the volume down 1/3 and actually get a 1/3 reduction in volume. The older ones were pretty much all or nothing. If you're checking them out in a store, the newer ones have "Made in China" on the back of the headstock, these have the new preamp. I think the Indo ones will soon follow, but I'm not sure when.

My Fiesta Red SUB is new and the volume is great on it.

jd56hawk likes this.
  15. Cracker7

Cracker7 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Lakeland FL
    IMG_0377.JPG Got this one used from my local shop and replaced the pup with a Bart. Things a beast

pappabass likes this.
  16. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon

IMG_0365.JPG

My most loyal companion.

The finish on the blue ones is beautifully inconsistent- a different shade each time I see them on the rack, and sometimes you can see the grain of the wood better than others. I quite like how mine turned out- the yellow light in my room is unflattering, but it's gorgeous in the sunlight.

Hot as hell, cuts like a razor dipped in boiling acid, and the preamp can stretch or squash the sound into what feels like completely different instruments. Can be a little awkward in settling into a recorded mix, but it's sheer presence and miles of versatility make it a veritable Excalibur for livelooping.

Chicory and SUB are married.

--^@