Need answers on power.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nickalan620, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Alright here's the deal, i am just starting a band with my boys ( 1 or 2 guitarists and a drummer). I need a new amp (right now i only have a 20 watt drive combo :crying: ) and I need enough power to be heard above the guitarist(s) and drummer. We play rock music that is preety heavy but nothing extreme. The guitarist has a 100 watt tube amp. The drummer is preety loud. I have been doing research for quite a while have decided to go the pre/power amp route. The best balance of price and quality i came up with is a Sansamp RBI preamp, a QSC RMX 850 poweramp, and a Avatar B212 cabinet. The dilema i have is how many ohms on the cab. If i get a 2 ohm cab can i run it in "half" stereo since the QSC can't handle 2 ohms bridged?
  2. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

Just set it for Parallel and plug it into one channel, if that suits your power needs, and gives you enough headroom. I think it safer to get a 4ohm cab, so have the option of 300W or 830W with one cabinet... instead of being stuck at 430W with no other options on hand. I doubt 430W would give you good headroom at a larger gig.... the main descrepancies people have with the SVT3-Pro is its power, which is 450W.