Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need Ashton AB-1105 info & pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sahbiot, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Sahbiot

Sahbiot

Aug 28, 2002
    Australia, Sydney
    Hi,

Im very interested in seeing pictures of an Ashton AB-1105, i would like to see close ups of the headstock, front and back of body. Or even would like to know what your take is on the quality of the build of these instruments.

Take it easy :bassist:

2. Hey Mate,

This is all i could find about Ashton Basses:

Ashton Basses

To be honest with you, they're really not my cupa', but each to his/her own.

Pengwan.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    You should be aware that there are TWO Ashton AB1105's. There's the old one that's neckthrough and is quite a decent instrument, and there's the new current bolt-on, which I've never seen in person, so no comment on.

Allans can get the old NT version.

I have an AB1505, which is similar, and for the $400 I paid for it (secondhand, mint, properly setup and with HC) it was a bargain. Good sounding, big and warm but with an extended top end and the B seems OK to me. The hardware, esp the tuners are reputed to be their weak point; use them till they break, then replace them with Schallers (~$A120/4) but mine are still going strong. Mine bass is very nicely made, though I have heard there are sometimes some QC issues, but I've never seen them myself, nor has anyone I've ever corresponded with that owns one.

All in all, a pretty decent bass for the money, but for some people there is a bit of a stigma associated with the Ashton name. When I can find an AB1105 for good money secondhand, I'm going to buy it as a spare.

I have a few pix. PM me with your email addy and I'll send them over.

4. I thought the newer bolt-on was the AB805.

Anyway, I haven't been able to come across any AB1105's, but I did see an AB1100.
    They seem to be nice instruments, but a pickup upgrade would certaintly be one of things I'd do (and upgrade the hardware).

In my search for one of these I found a Yamaha RBX765A which I bought second hand off a guy for an absolute steal (and it's almost practically brand new).

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    You may be right about the new ones being 805's. My comment was based on what a store told me when I enquired about them.

The hardware and the pups aren't the best, but fine for the price. I'll eventually change mine, but for the time being they all work fine, so why spend the money? The pups are OK, but without a back-to-back test with another I can't say whether I'd spend the money. FWIW, they're EMG45 sized. Used on stage on a rock/pop gig, a friend was more than happy with the sound he got out of mine recently.

6. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Isn't this an aussie company?

Damn fine looking instruments.

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Austalian owned and designed (apparently), but made in Vietnam.

8. This photo of an Ashton AB1100 (the 4 string version of an Ashton AB1100) is just about the only one I could find on the net. The sellers were asking for 899 Euros!!! which is more than double what they normally cost new back when they were still making them.
    I paid $300 AU for a battered and scratched Ashton AB1100, It is worth a lot more to me, I love it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78351852@N00/566597229/