1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need assistance with bass I just picked up

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FeuerFrei, Apr 6, 2009.

  1. So I landed on a Copley 5 string bass, see link below.


    But, she's got a small issue, in this photo

    (linked to save your browsers HERE)

    As I've poorly illustrated, the power junction (?) was left exposed, and it touched off on the ground wire on that pot, which leads into the back pickup.

    I know as a low voltage electrician that this can cause harm, but being that I'm still learning the bass, I am inquiring as to the level of harm I'm looking at, for an active bass it's very quiet (same settings for my Washburn would pop your ear drums vs this guy)

    So, am I looking at just a dead pickup, or am I looking at further damage than that, it's got a little pop and hiss when the level is cranked all the way up, but I figure that's just from poor grounding.

    Advice, thoughts, comments, ect would be greatly appreciated.
  2. robert43


    Jun 5, 2007
    I would look at the battery 1st try that then I would look at preamp or pickup
  3. If the power junction was touching ground, then the battery would drain away, so first thing is to replace battery & put some tape on the junction for insulation (sorry if you've already done that!!)

    Can it be run passive? If so, try that & see what the levels are - they should be at or just below a standard passive bass.
  4. I actually did try the battery first, that was the gimme, and I've actually used a silicate seal to shield that exposed power line. It cannot be run passive, when you pull the battery it goes to silence.
  5. The battery completes the circuit.
  6. Right, figured that.

Share This Page