1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Assistance

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Shortbigtoe, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Shortbigtoe

Shortbigtoe

Feb 25, 2008
    You guys must think I'm stupid by asking this question but here it goes. I've bought myself a "Teach Yourself Bass Guitar" book and they keep saying stuff like "play the A note on the E string". Now I understand that from top to bottom string its EADG, but that part confuses me when it says to play the A note on the E string (I know it's the 5th fret), but my question is, is there a chart that I could look at that has all the notes for each string/fret.

P.S. This is my first venture into playing an instrument so thats why I ask here after trying to look for a chart but sadly was not victorious.

(Sorry for bad grammar/spelling mistakes, English isn't my first language)

2. Shortbigtoe

Shortbigtoe

Feb 25, 2008
    Sorry, wrong forum =(

3. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Here is a software program that you may want to invest in. There is also a free version, but it only covers the first few frets.

Here is a link to the first 11 frets (it starts over at the 12th):

http://www.activebass.com/basics/fboard.asp

If you Google Bass Fingerboard, Bass Fretboard, etc, I'm sure there are others.

Good Luck...

4. Shortbigtoe

Shortbigtoe

Feb 25, 2008
    Ah! Thanks a bunch, that is exactly what I needed! One question though, why, on one fret, is there A#(sharp) and Bb(flat).

5. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    that would be an enharmonic. The distance between A and B (or C and D, and....) is 2 half steps, or semi tones, whatever you want to call them. So half way between would either be an A#, since it is higher than an A, or a Bb, since it is lower than a B. As far as theory goes they are different, but they sound exactly alike, and for our purposes they are the same note.

But, keep in mind that between B and C, and E and F, there is only a half step difference. So B# and Cb are two different notes.

6. Shortbigtoe

Shortbigtoe

Feb 25, 2008
    That makes sense, thanks for clearing that up.

7. Shortbigtoe

Shortbigtoe

Feb 25, 2008
    So when someone says play the A note on the E string how do you know whether to play the A note on the 5th fret or on the 18th fret. Sorry if this is a stupid question lol.

8. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Typically I would play most notes down at the lower end (it is a BASS, after all) and climb up into the higher registers during bridges/solos, etc...

9. Shortbigtoe

Shortbigtoe

Feb 25, 2008
    So basically it's assumed that one means the lower notes on the bass. I can't wait till I'm actually good at this hehe.

10. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    You can play whatever note you want wherever you want, but keep in mind there will be others in the band, assuming you want to eventually join/start one. Bass is typically part of the rhythm section in a band and needs to be very aware of what the dummer's bass pedal is doing and try not to stray very far from it as you are helping keep the beat for the rest of the dudes in the band. That is not to say you can't go off here and there and play up and down the neck (as is appropriate), but if you do it often and randomly, you're likely to piss off some/all of the other players. DISCLAIMER: I haven't played in a band in YEARS, but I remember way back, learning this the hard way. Perhaps things are done differently these days, dunno, but I doubt it...