Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need audition material - HELP!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Jan 15, 2002.

1. I've been playing for about 3 years, with no real formal training other than about 3 months of lessons. I've been able to play any cover that I've been asked to learn, but I wouldn't say I'm an accomplished bass player, I don't have monster chops, am not the funkiest player ever, and songs like Portrait of Tracy and Sinister Minister are way out of my league right now.

Anyway, like I said, I can do well with most rock/pop covers, but if I was ever faced with having to audition for something or someone, I wouldn't know what to play because all I know is bass parts,riffs, etc. I've been working on Bach Suita I in C, and with time I'll get this down pretty well I think. But I want a couple of other numbers that AREN'T TOO TERRIBLY DIFFICULT, but actually sound like a song (melody) that would be good audition material for a rock/pop cover band.

So, your task is to supply me with 2-3 songs that would work with the above criteria (criterium?). Oh yeah, I can read music somewhat.

Thanks in advance.....

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    If you are borrowing from classical tunage, try flight of the bumble bee. That will keep you busy for a while! :)

I always wanted to play that on a bass. I don't nearly have the skill yet. But one day... :D

3. err. learn stuff. old music, slow jazz stuff always works for me

sim