Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Bart/Basslines PU/Pre clues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jacochops, Jan 23, 2004.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Hey all,
    I just became a Warrior endorser at NAMM. I am VERY excited about the arrangement! The basses have fantastic playability, and the feel of the basses, to me, is excellent. However, I was hoping some of you might have some insight on something...
    The bass is mahogany with a mahogany/purpleheart neck. It came with a Duncan Music Man pickup, with the Duncan pre. The bass is ENTIRELY too bright for me, I believe due to the size of those exposed poles. I had Carey Nordstrand drop a different cap on the treble pot, but then it totally changed the evenness of the volume knob...it made it function like a linear taper pot. JD has graciously offered to swap it out for the Bart setup (PU and pre). The Bart pre he uses has been tweaked slightly, and sounds great. I have to admit, I played a 5 of his at the show with Bart soaps and the Bart pre, and it was outstanding (same wood combo). I was wondering:
    1) Should I swap out the entire system? The MM with the exposed coils is WAY too bright...
    2) Should I keep the pre in and put in the Bart MM?
    3) Should I keep the PU, and drop in the Bart pre? (least desirable option)
    I've played Laklands with a rosewood board/full Bart setup that were pretty muddy...not a ton of mid-definition, however, I've played other Bart setups that were outrageous...I've never played a bass with a basslines preamp that I liked, but every one was paired with basslines pickups.
    I play primarily fingerstyle (teaching/jazz/fusion/praise music), and want a very J-like back pickup sound, minus the hum. I've actually achieved this on a Lakland setup (with maple board), but this has a purpleheart board.I can experiment all day long with swapping, but I was wondering if y'all have done the likes of this before.
    By the way, nothing came up when I searched the archives...

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Personally, I would say you should just trade out the whole system to the Bart set-up. I've had quite a bit of experience with the Basslines systems in my Warwicks, and I would equate Basslines as a smoother, less harsh MEC system if that makes sense. The Basslines are very bright IMO, and if you're not used to that overly bright sound, you're never going to like it. Now if you've ever thought that the Bart p-up/ preamp combo is a bit dull, then I would say use the Basslines preamp w/ the Bart p-ups. I used this same set-up on a dull Modulus Q5, and the addition of the Basslines preamp made a difference in the clarity of the highs. Just by the sound of it though, I think that you'd be better off ditching the whole Basslines system and going with the Barts.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Halftooth had plenty of good advice.

I too have had varying degrees of success with Bart systems.

2 band in my thumb 5 sounded woolly.
    3 band in lakland 55-02 was hard to get a well defined sound out of - it seemed to be either too bright or too boomy.

On the other hand...
    I have bart 3 band setups in my Elrick and MTD basses, and they sound GREAT.

The Duncans are definitely clearer sounding than the Barts. I like their sound, but if it's too bright for you I'd definitely suggest going all barts. There are a few different types of Bart MM pup (bright, darker, triple coil etc) so it's worth checking those options out. I've heard good things about the newer Classic Bass pickups, they supposedly have a more open response.

4. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I've got a Basslines 2 band preamp with Bart 59J's for a walnut/maple bodied fretless I'm building. I can't wait to hear it when I'm done(just got done surface planing the spalted/flamed maple top).

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    IF you liked the sound of the same bass with a different set up then it makes sense to get that set up. Dice it up and you'll get diced results from what you heard - although you may like it diced better, or you may not. I'd stick with what you know. I've done my share of jacking with pup/preamp combos, and you can save yourself some time and frustration. Just remember you have to consider the strings and rig used one the setup you liked, since that will alter the sound as much as the electronics.

6. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I too would go for the all bart system. If you really want a jazz bass like bridge pickup tone get series/parallel/single coil toggle switch hooked up to the bart MM pickup. It will get you closer than without it.