Need bass advice (again), thinking of trading/selling my Geddy...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arcy, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Arcy

Jul 4, 2003
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Hello all,

Long story short, I've worked in recording studios for quite a few years now and in my spare time, record some of my own music. I always borrowed basses before, but about a year ago or so I bought my own, a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass. I've enjoyed it, but lately I'm feeling like I may try to trade/sell it and get something else.

A band that I'm recording right now, their bassist uses a Warwick bass (I think it's a Corvette), and the other night he was switching between mine and his. He complimented mine, but I really loved the sound of his, and I liked the way it played better. From what I hear, that model is sort of a mixture of a classic and modern sound. I think maybe that's more the direction I want to go. While I love the Geddy, and think it's a tremendous value, I've recorded a lot of material and never truly felt like it was the particular bass sound I was looking for. Again, not that it sounds bad by any means, but it isn't my sound. I think I want something with more upper midrange, more sheen, more sparkle, more cut, and more of a hi-fi sound. Maybe that means a bit more modern.

I AM playing rock music though (again sort of a mixture of old and new, think zeppelin meets floyd meets smashing pumpkins meets tool... or something), so I don't want anything super hi-fi that would sound wimpy for rock music. By the way, I am mainly wanting this for recording, not so much for live use.

Anyway, I'm considering trying to replace my Geddy with a Warwick, like my friend has, but I'd like to hear some other suggestions if possible, in case I can make it to the nearest Guitar Center to try some models out. Also I'd like to know how people think of these tonally. I also am considering a Tobias Growler, not because I've ever heard one, but I've just kinda always thought it would be a pretty cool bass, though I've never seen one in person.

Any advice is much appreciated as usual. Thanks!
  2. pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Wait a few months, and then drop me an email about buying the Geddy. :D
  3. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Spector.... :hyper:

Classic looks, superb build quality, a wide range of tones (from classic to hi-fi) and a studio favourite. I've lost count of the number of engineers (live and studio) who have complimented me on the great tone my Spectors produce... :smug:
  4. First on the geddy have you tried different strings and pickup blend combinations as well as a set up? If you like a more modern sound with some upper mid edge, go for some stainless steel strings. DR highbeams, low-riders and fat beams are highly recomended on this board.

Set-up wise make sure your action is as low as you can go without buzzing when you play fingerstyle, and I would consider sitting down with a bassist who records frequently and getting some ideas about bass tone from him. My first recording I let the engineer in the studio get my sound as I wasn't very experienced and I hated it, eq'ed in the smiley face fashion with no mids.

If you have already tried all these then I would go to GC and try out the warwicks they have there as well as some active jazzes and P's, spector's, Ibanez, pretty much everything you can get your hands on, you really never know what will grab your attention.
  5. Arcy

Jul 4, 2003
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Thanks guys, I'll try to get to a GC and check out Spectors, Warwicks, and everything else I can get my hands on. I appreciate the help.
  6. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    You might also want to consider new pickups and\or a series\parallel mod. I have a MIA jazz with SD Antiquities and the Fender S-1 switch and it sounds awesome. Of course, if you are GASsing for a Warwick, go for it. Just not my cup of tea...