Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need bass Advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sascrotch, Feb 18, 2001.

1. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Im at about an intermediate player now so its time to get rid of this $100 Washburn. So, i need advice on a new bass in the $400 range. I play rock/punk music. I was interested in the Ibanez or Fender basses. Could anyone give me some help?

Oh yeah, looking for a 4 string.

2. For punk, I would recomend a Fender P, you can get a new MIM one, and save some $$, or look for a used MIA P, I got mine for $400, its not out of the question, but look around. I would stay away from Ibanez, only because I find their sound to be weak, oh and I think theyre ugly.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It seems that Fender P basses are the standard for punk music, but that dosent mean you have to have one. You could try a Dean Edge 4 which costs about $300 & has good pick-ups & are made very well. If I were to get any Ibanez, it would have to be an SR-400 or better. I forgot the price off hand. Another cool bass that I really like for little cash is the Yamaha BB-4. You can get a nice natural one for about $350 or so. The best thing to do is got to a few music stores in your area & play <font color=red><b>EVERY BASS THEY HAVE!!!</b></font>

Good luck.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah Play around. Fender is a good bet, but don't overlook Peavy or Yamaha just beacause they aren't "cool" brands. Also, the Jackson C series aren't too shabby. Nor are Schecters. All are in that area. I know for a fact that a Shecter SB-1 are a decent Punk/Rock bass, and are a decent bass. Overall, I'd look at the local selection and play your nuts off.

5. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    What does MIM, MIJ and MIA mean?

6. Hmm, intermediate player doesnt know what MIA,MIM,MIJ are. Id say spend the money on lessons, wait for the next bass. FWIW, its Made In America, Made In Mexico, Made In Japan

7. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Well everyone here seems to be in favor of the Fender. Well I got an Ibanez and I love it. Of course you hear all the stories about the inconsistencies and such, i guess I just got lucky. Make sure to play whatever you buy.

8. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I never saw anything in the topic that said to give me ****

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

<font color=red>That was pretty low, tallguy.</font>

10. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Mmmh. I doubt that :
    1) Everydoby's not in the "Fender" world
    2) If you're not an english "mothertonger", it's not that obvious, since these are acronyms.
    3)IMHO, you can get a bass, learn and play for years, become a great bassist and don't know sh*t about gear, brands ...

To answer the original question, my 2 cents : Yamaha and Ibanez make pretty good cheap versatile basses.

11. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I recall saying this before.....
    D'ya really NEED a Fender?
    If not, stay off it!

There are others, as good or better, for every music style, many are more versatile. But there is only six Fender (MIA, MIJ, MIM, Squire MIJ, Squire MIK, and actually G&L (did I miss any???)),

whereof one has THE IMAGE........

12. darthspada

darthspada

Jan 20, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    I played guitar in an alt/punk band for quite a while. My bass player had a Fender J fretless and the tone was perfect for the punk stuff. Fender P basses are very common among punk bassists, ie Green Day. I'd suggest checking for a used Ernie Ball Music Man. My favorite punk bassist, Brad Nicary, formerly of Fungusamungus, had one. Sounded killer, but especially for slapping... something the punk crowds go nuts for during gigs.

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    OH, YOU'RE SO SMART!!! Not every one gives a sh*t about crappy Fenders. Why don't you go to another snob filled discussion group!!!

14. I started playing bass in 1976. OK, I had a LONG break from 1980 till 1997...but I only learned the abbreviations MIA etc about 2 years back. Off the Fender Discussion Page, where I got hauled over the coals for using the ethnically offensive term 'MIJ' to describe my P bass...

Andy

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sascrotch, are you still with us, or did the rudeness run you off?

16. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey, thanks to this post I just found out what MIM, MIA, and MIJ mean.

17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I personally would stay away from Ibanez, had 2, sold 2, the tone in them is very very weak compared to a fenders. A good fender for what your wanting to spend would be the Deluxe Active Jazz bass, yeah its MIM, but for that price range i think they have the best sound. If you do go Ibanez, Id recomend the Sr400. IMO they have a better tone than there Sr800 counterparts. Just play them and you'll know which is right for you.

18. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I don't agree with you about the SR400 vs SR800.
    The 400 has more depth, right, but pickups and preamp on the 800 series are much better and offer much more possible settings (and you can boost bass EQing to compensate the lack of depth).
    I had both and in terms of playability, IMHO, the 800 is far beyond the 400 (incredible neck on the 800).
    But the 800 is more expensive and the 400 might be a good "starter".
    Anyway, I agree with you about the tone. It's nothing like a Fender, but this is getting in the fuzzy area of personnal tastes ;)

19. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Sascrotch- (Great name by the way)

Just look around and play a lot of different basses. There are a whole lot more options than fender and Ibanez so don't limit your self to them. A lot of the best basses are the ones you had no clue existed until you've done some serious research. Brand names aren't every thing either, sure some idiot might laugh at you for having it but then you shut them up with good playing, good tone, or with a good old fashioned ass-beating. Just cuz it's a fender doesn't make good (there's enough fenders out there anyway, do we really need another one?) . Also check to make sure your paying for the bass and not the brand name. Also just because you play punk doesn't mean you have to play a p-bass, some of the most interesting sounds come when different styles mix. It's fun to have a bass every time you strap it on someone says, "What the hell is that?".

20. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I know, I know... we all heard it a million times... BUT Since I love to jump on the bandwagon... I would say the most important thing is what your ears tell you. You might find a bass for $25 that is falling apart, 2 strings and 1 pickup. It has a switch on it for tones weak, dying and dead. BUT for some crazy reason maybe it sounds good in the music that you write... You never know! So just amble on down to a store and check em out. For $400 you around bound to find something that you really dig. The only thing I would suggest, if you feel you have outgrown that 4 that you have... maybe you might wanna try a 5 and see how you like it?