Need bass advise...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist4ever, Jul 23, 2002.

1. i need advise people. My dad told me the other day that he was going to buy me a bass (what ever one i want) when he gets his ss/disab. backpay...
    i need help in choosing what to get...
    i know i will be trying out warwicks, MIA fenders, ibanez, and peavey basses... any more recommendations for 5 (or 6) stringers?

Danke everyone....
  2. Hey. I have only recently started playing bass and i had the same problem. My dad brought me to a guitar shop were they recommended the fender p-bass. I got it and its great especially for beginers. Thhe wide neck is great too. it makes it alot easier.
  3. If you're talking about 5ers, Stingray 5s are nice, also check out Yamaha. I haven't played one, but, many people here rave about the Fender Roscoe Beck Five. What price range are we talking about?

Mike J.
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Don't rush and try a load of stuff. All the basses you mentioned have features that some people like and others hate. Be super critical of neck dimensions, string spacing, neck dive and sound. Also evaluate the look of the thing. You might disagree but how many 80's purchases with pointy headstocks and holographics still look cool?

With every bass you try imagine that you have the money in your back pocket.

"Am I prepared to pay this money for this bass?"
  5. i second the stinrgray 5.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

On this basis the ultimate recommendation would have to be a Double Bass - they haven't changed that much in a few centuries! ;)

Also - they are usually more expensive and hold their value - most DBs are worth more than what was paid for them new! ;)
  7. If you could give us an idea about what kind of sound you are looking for/what you were planning to play with it, it would be easier to help.

A few basses I personally would suggest you to try are:

Ibanez BTB515E
    Yamaha BB2005 (as soon as it becomes available)
  8. thank's for all the replies guys :) I honestly can not tell you how much money i will be able to spend but i am thinking as much as it takes (thats what my dad says too). I honestly can't tell you all what kind of sound I am looking for because it changes every other day.

who ever said dont rush. don't worry i am not. think i want to be stuck with a 2 thousand dollar bass that i dont like?
  9. CS

Dec 11, 1999

:) Bruce try here
  10. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Try out 5ers and 6ers alike. For that price range, check out the Fenders, ESP, and if you really need a cheap 6er, I guess try out the Ibanez. I'd steer away from many of the Ibanez models out there (few with exceptions) because durability is just not there, and neither is resale value or happiness with the product after a certain amount of time, from what I believe.

ESP makes awesome 5er, C-305. MIA Fenders kick as well. Try em out and find one that feels good, sounds good, and maybe looks cool.
  11. What about the peavey millenium?
  12. lil_bass_boy

lil_bass_boy Banned

Oct 25, 2001
    Maryland, USA
    You could also try some Modulus'. The ones I have played sound nice IMO.
  13. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    How about buying an entry level bass and putting some cash " IN THE BANK" for a future bass when you know what you want??:rolleyes: Just a thought;)
  14. i've been playing for almost 2 years now... so i have two basses currently... and in about 4-5 months be buying a MTD Kingston 5er.... these options ive asked about are what my dad has offered(kindly i might add) to buy with some money he will be getting here very soon (in US government terms 1-2 years).

So far i have my options of anything i want basically under 4 grand or so..

My list consists of Ibanex, Warwicks, Spectors, Ernie Ball Music Man 5s, Modulus, Peavey, Yamahas(BB2005 and BBNE2) and Brian Moore i5, Lakland and fender american deluxe 5 and the rosco beck 5...*cowers* and also the Ibanez Fieldy Sig. Model (what can i say the bass looks awesome!!!) ohh yeah cant for get the higher end wasburns.

thanks... PLEASE add more to my list

Danke, Gracias, and Many Thanks!!!
  15. sorry Rics are out of the question.... i dont like their body style for one and two i hear they have a treble *problem* in my book.... plus there isnt a place that carries them with in 300 miles or so...
  16. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    UMMM Dude
    It is simple then. Get the most expensive bass you can get that will hold it's value and if you don't like it you can sell it and get another. Your prioritys seem a little scewed, but maybe it is just me!!!!