Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need bass cab advice/choices

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by STILL, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Currently using a Mesa Diesel 15 topped by a Mesa Road Ready 2x10.

Sounds killer, specially when you hit it with tons of power, (which I do) problem is the 2x10 (being as it's a RoadReady model and thus it's own road case) is heavy as **** and since right now all my road gigs are all in-ear, I don't need that much weight.

I'd love to find someone who wants to trade for a regular Diesel version, or any ideas for another cab that will sound in the same ballpark as this one does.

The sound of the MESA stuff is pretty aggressive, well suited for rock and aggressive funk, not at ALL the SWR "smile curve" sound, nor is it that "L.A. GIG-BAG GHEY GEEK MUSIC SCHOOL" sound that seems to be all the rage at music stores nationwide...it's more that "I'm gonna beat yer ass with my bass tuning pegs if you bang into my mic stand and ram it into my mouth one more time" kinda sound....you know, I need something more like that.

Just checking. :bag:

2. Just a bump to give this a chance....

3. Is it my B.O. then?

4. How is it that you guys can smell my B.O. throught the net? I can't think of any other reason why 81 people would look at this thread and no one would reply, it MUST be the smell, but how are you doing that? :eyebrow:

5. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Just a guess, but there's a chance you insulted 1/3 of the board with that one. :scowl:

Just a guess. Not a super aggressive guess though, so it may not be to your liking. ;)

6. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place

I liked the post. Made me laugh. Probably offended all but 3 TB members unintentionally though. Which makes me laugh. I'm guessing you play a 4 string too. If you weren't on the other coast I'd trade you mine just for that post. You might find older Eden cabs to your liking, I've had Mesa Diesel cabs that came with Eden 10s in them. I just got done putting 2 Eden 10s in my Diesel 2X10, needed to make the cab 4 ohms. Very nice. Good luck!

7. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Is it just me, or does this seem like it should be in Gear Wanted?...

and um... you know where I'm going with this.

8. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Heh.

9. If they were offended, they're probably ghey players and I don't care, cause their gear stays mostly in their basements anyways....I only want to hear from the people who actually play, and honestly, I've played a lot of the stuff that looks like it gets a lot of play around here, and oh please!! Let's rock eh? That stuff sounds great on paper and in a basement but when you get it to a full blast gig....BLEH......

BUT.....there are things out there I haven't heard, and I AM looking for things I don't know about, and although there's some hint I'm trying to get around the membership thing, please. You have NO idea how wrong you are, I really AM looking for ideas.

10. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    If you're looking for something lighter, and just as aggressive... G-K. I haven't played their Neo cabs yet; but ooh. Aggressive.

11. Hunh, really, those used to sound like ass, but they musta changed them since I last played them....I'll take a look....

12. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I went to a concert where the bass player was playing a 2000RB-whatever (the latest model) through a 410, and it was intense. He was playing a warwick bass.

13. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I'll toss in my .02 even though your a little crass. (you might consider the overall tenor of this board, there's alot of potential good information
    by helpful people-a little diplomacy might help you in the future)

True enough, the GK might be your ticket. Maybe a little bright in some cases, but they have a nice round aggressivness I like for rock.

I'm not sure how 'ass" sounds to be honest, to its hard to comment. I can only speculate. I recall private moments and sounds heard in public restrooms.

:D

14. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    :D

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah bro, you're coming on way too strong. Take a chill pill, and do some research. Now that I'm done with that, let me get off my high horse and offer some insight. :D

I like the GK idea. I also think you may find some older Ampeg cabs to your liking, but they won't be light. I have heard a few Flite Sound cabs, and they can kick some butt. Very lightweight as well.

I don't know what you are getting at with the use of the word "GHEY", but it looks like you are busting on people with high end boutique gear. Oh well, you should give it a chance. I'll put a few of my Epifani cabs up against your Mesa stack anyday....homie. :D

-Mike

16. Heard 'em, and I would think they sounded "Bad" - this whole "high end" thing is basically sorta....ummm......well....GHEY, but yeh, I guess if everyone here is gonna take my style personally, then I made a bad call coming here....but I have a feeling you've all MAY have made a bad call chasing me off....maybe not never know....I have a LOT of real world experience that some of you mighta found useful.....your board though eh?

All that have taken offense, don't, I don't know you and it wasn't personal. :help:

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Dude, relax. No one is chasing you off. Just asking to tone it down a wee bit, that's all.

Not to be too technical, but in all of your "real world experience", you are not able to find some cabs that will get close to the Mesa sound?

-Mike

18. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    no worries man. just hang out and read some posts and get the vibe.
    Everyone has something to offer, including you. In general, this board tends to be pretty polite and in the end, makes it a good source of info with a friendly vibe. People feel strongly sometimes about thier opinions, and thats cool. In general, respect and diplomacy make all these various viewpoints easy to swallow and sometimes opens peoples minds to new things.

19. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    ghey equipment is making a comeback.

I have a Diesel 1x15 that I havent used for quite some time. I am not sure if its much lighter than your RR 2x10 though. That thing is a backbreaker! I was going to put it up on ebay (cleaning out my apartment) but would be up for a trade, if anything to try something new. PM if interested.