Need Bass speaker replacement advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike88T, Nov 29, 2001.

1. OK heres My problem
    I just got a good deal on My first real Bass amp, It is a Fender 160 watt M-80 Bass . The reason I got such a deal is the speaker is blown. The person i bought it from is reputable and told me that he blew it demonstrating a guitar to somebody in the shop. It's a pretty much "as is" deal but the price was right so I bought it.
    Now my question is. What type of speaker can I replace it with(it's an EV 15" by the way)and are Bass Amp speakers different from say ,Rockford Fosgate Bass Speakers.
    Any help would Be appreciated

I got this response on another Forum (and since I don't have a clue as to what he is talking about) I took his advice and am Posting here. This is the speaker I am looking at

"it all comes down to theile-small parameters. get them from fender for the load that was in the combo. then get them for the fosgate. if it isn't too much less efficient it might be worth using -- probably anything more than 1.5 dB with that power would be a loss. then, you need to figure the volume of the cab so that you can if really needed retune it to the fosgate the way you want it to sound, based on maybe a WinISD or PerfectBox plot.
    if this sounds too complicated, that is because really it is, for most people, unless they are actually *looking* for something different, are convinced it will be an improvement based on their preferences and their actual knowledge.

there are a few peeps who have built successful bass rigs using automotive audio components, and i beleive you could hit the right sub-forum on and smoke them out rather easily ; }

after some driver research and box plots i actually considered building a sub around some alumabass¬ô drivers at one point; but got sidetracked on another project instead. curiosity often kills the cat...slowly /; }"
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. OK thanks,
    He blew the speaker playing some heavy Grung with a Bass. What he told me was that the back end blew out(not sure what that Means but assume something happened to the coil?)
    I just got it yesterday and took the speaker out and cleaned the cab up and such to make sure there wasn't a squirrel or something inside HAHA. No squirrel unfortunatly just dust.
    Yeah the Fosgate is a Car audio aplication But can get it for relitivly cheap from a friend, he is not a Musician but a few people he has asked have said it should work "OK". Thing is I would prefer to spend money on a bit better then "OK" , no point dropping 90$ on the Fosgate if I can get something that is better(and correct for amp) for 20-30$ more.
    Thanks for the input .
  4. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
  5. The easiest replacement speaker is another of the same type that was installed by Fender. This will be a modified Eminence most likely. These are not the same as the off-the-shelf Eminence available to the public, so it will have to come from Fender.

If you want to go aftermarket, the volume of your cabinet, and its tuning frequency will determine which driver you install. Download my Musician's Reference spread sheet from my web site and cross referece a driver from it that most closely matches your existing cab. Tuning can be changed, but the volume cannot, and it is the most important.

Premium car audio subs are very robust for bass use, and they are very expensive. I have 6 of them for my rig, but they are not useful for your situation. A sub cuts off around 100 Hz, and your bass will sound like muddy hell without another driver to handle the midrange.

IMO, you should first consider a replacement speaker the same as what came from the factory.
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I would suggest getting the speaker specs from Fender and comparing them to the Carvin mentioned in the post above. The Carvin is most likely very similar to the factory original and I would guess that it is more cost effective than buying a Fender speaker. Especially since they are built in the same factory.

7. Fender will not provide the specs. I've been down this road before with Fender. They hide behind "tone" and the specs being a "trade secret" related to "tone."

Buy another speaker from Fender and get on with playing the bass.
  8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I would get the amp checked out. If it has a blown EV, then someone has already replaced the speaker at least once, and now you are doing it again.
  9. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    good point bgavin. of course I was just suggesting the Carvin as a similar price alternative to the car audio speaker. I personally wouldn't sink too much money into a Fender M-80
  10. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    If it's an E-V, just get it reconed for $80. E-V speakers are among the best there are. It's going to be way better than a replacement Fender.
  11. I decided to just take the amp to my local shop and have them check it out, at least I'll know for sure what the situation is.
  12. Well it turns out that the Guitar shop I took My AMP to couldn't figure out what was wrong with It. After 10 days of delaying me with "just a couple of more days" they decided to own up and let me know they didn't have a clue as to what was wrong but they have "narrowed it down to the Amp"( so it took em 10 days to figure out it wasn't the speaker or the Cab itself DOLTS!).
    Anyhow they were kind enough to break away from whatever more important thing they were doing( I always felt they were giving me the brushoff cause I'm just a beginner or maybe because I wasn't going to spend a bunch of money ) to give me the number of a real repair shop , even though I had to call back to get the number from a second person cause the first guy i spoke to didn't know it. Well I took it to this place hoping they were at least competent, at this point I had owned the amp for 11 days and had only physicly had it in my posesion for 2 hours so I really didn't want to give it up again. Two days later they called back and said somebody had dropped the Amp at some time and cracked a few components inside, of course at hearing this I started thinking the amp was going to be a white elephant that will never sound right. Well low and behold not only did the guy said it was fixable but he just had to wait a day to get some tech diagrams Faxed over from Fender and it would be Mine by Friday. WOOHOOO.

Well Now I have a Nice Fender 80-Bass amp 15" EV speaker and My total cost was under 240$, and it sound pretty good. Only problem is I had to leave it at our practice studio because playing it even on 2 with the Reverb and Chours turned up makes the drop ceiling rattel and anything above 5 makes stuff start falling off shelves hahaha.

Well all's well that ends on E.
  13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    You have to watch those repair shops/dealers. I almost always get treated like a basement amateur and I've been playing for seven years. If you're in the mood for something fun to read, do a search in Miscellaneous or Off Topic for "music store horror stories." Good reading. Excellent education.

EDIT: Here's one for ya: