Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Bass w/ Stingray/G&L Tone & Warwick Playability

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by japhy4529, Aug 11, 2003.

1. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

Ok, I was just at a local music shop today playing some 4 string fretted Basses.

I currently own a G&L L-2000 Bass. I LOVE the tone of this Bass, but it is not the most comfortable instrument in the world to play.

After playing a Warwick Thumb Bolt-on, I have to say it is the most comfortable Bass I have ever played. It just fits perfectly in my hands. Unforuntately, IMO it does not sound as good as my G&L. I confirmed this by playing an identical L-2000 in the store. The Warwick is not as bright or deep sounding as the G&L.

So this is my dilemma. I would think I would like to keep my G&L. However, I would like to pick up another Bass that sounds just as good (or better), but is more comfortable (smaller neck, slightly narrower string spacing).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. I suppose you could buy a thumb and mod it. Really, from what I can think of, it's either that or you commission a custom bass that is based on the thumb design but with G&L electronics.

3. ghetto911

ghetto911

Jan 28, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    I think you might want to consider a Warwick FNA or Streamer Jazzman. These both use MusicMan-style large-pole humbucking pickups, and should therefore sound much closer to a G&L than a Thumb. Since they are made by Warwick, they should have the feel you are looking for.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I was going to suggest a FNA, too! Also, you may want to check out a FNA Jazzman.

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    yes, FNA all the way..if my deal comes through that is what im buying....damn that gard ;)

steve

6. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I'd look for a L2k w/ a different neck.

A #6 or #8

7. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

Thanks for the suggestions!

I love the look of the Streamer Jazzman. What a beautiful Bass. I am going to hunt around my area to see if I can try one out.

I have also thought about getting an L2K with a different neck. That is under consideration too.

Any other suggestions out there?

Thanks again guys!

- Tom

8. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    Hey I may be a little late, but a Warwick Dolphin would also do the trick.

9. you might also check out the spector europe series of basses. a rebop or NSCRFM would be a sweet bass.