Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need battery powered amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wallred, Dec 6, 2000.

1. wallred

wallred

Dec 6, 2000
    I play in a lot of remote locations and need a battery powered amp suitable for bass.

I have seen only the Taxi, Pignose, and one called the Limo.

Obviously I expect only fair to decent sound. Has anyone used any of these? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Warren

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Some of the rave gigs I play are clandestine for various legal reasons and, consequently, sometimes the rural locations force us to rely on generator power. I wouldn't have taken these gigs if I had to play out of some Walkman speaker. The promoters who supply the generators have some kind of unit connected to them which keeps the current/power consistent and steady, e.g., minimizes peaking and dipping, (if those are the right terms). If this is a potential option, I bet one of the TalkBass guys who understand a toroidal transformer could help you out. As for me, I'm pretty much a "where's the outlet?" kind of guy.

I know this doesn't address your question head on, but I hate to imagine you playing through one of those party favor "amps."

3. I did order the Pignose Hog 30 from MF and sent it back. It just doesn't put out any kind of volume. I play with an accoustic guitar, mandolin and washboard and the Pignose wasn't loud enough for even that. I figured maybe the unit I got was defective, so I had them send me another one and it was the same. I was really dissapointed because the Hog 30 looks retro cool and is perfect to sit on while playing. I tried a Crate Taxi amp at GC and it got all fuzzy and distorted from the bass. I've never seen a Limo, but it's not made for bass and I don't think it will sound good. My Peavy Microbass amp is plenty powerful for my purpose and I'm going to try a car battery and an inverter to get the portability I need.
    American Musical Supply sells the Hog 30 for $139 with free UPS. You can order one and try it out. If you don't like it, you can send it back for the cost of return UPS.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The problem with most of the battery powered amps is the speaker. The Pignose Hog 30 is the only one that's desinged for bass, the others will all just break up and distort. I've tried the Fender Amp Can, Lectrosonics Mouse, etc.

Next problem is power. The Hog 30 is only 15 watts RMS driving an 8" speaker. If you disconnected the speaker and drove a bigger cabinet it would work much better but then some of the portability is lost (duh). Anyway 15 watts is not much for playing bass.

I've been looking at the Carvin battery powered PA for a while, it's way more money (about $400) but has serious power (100 watts). The speaker system (10" woofer) is not really designed for bass but it has to work better than something like the Taxi. Since it has an extension cab jack you could use it to drive a bass cab.

That might be overkill for campfire jamming but for a street musician it's worth looking into.

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    brianrost Don't you mean the (Lectrosonics) "Moose" ?
    What I can remember of the late 70's, the Mouse was for guitar,
    and the Moose was for bass.

I'm not real sure if it's battery-powered, but Songworks
    has added an all-tube bass amp to their Li'l Lanelei series.

http://www.songworks.com/index2.htm

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This has come up a few times before and the answer has usually been that reproduction of "bass" requires a lot of power, that you simply can't get from batteries. You can get a lot of treble volume - so these usually sound tinny and distorted - OK for guitars ;) - but useless for real low-end sound.

7. I was missing out on many cool accoustic jam sessions in the park because there was no power for my Microbass amp. I had tried the Pignose Hog 30 and it wasn't loud enough. Close, but not enough. I just got another Hog 30 and it too is just too weak, but going through my Korg Pandora it gives it enough of a goose to keep up with my accoustic buddies. The Pandora (Px3b) can run on AAA batteries so now I have the portable bass amp I've lusted after plus the drum machine and other features of the Pandora.

8. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    You mean like the amp Greg Brady, Uh I mean JOhnny Bravo uses..............??????????

9. If you need heaps of power, try a German company called AEG, who make marvelous battery amps. I think they do a bass model of 100watts or more. I have'nt seen a bass one, but have played an acoustic guitar one, and it was the best sounding acoustic guitar amp I've ever heard, called a AEG Tramp (60watts). The manual that came with it said they do bass models.

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    AEG? Heh, my dad's refrigerator is an AEG, so is his washing machine... :D
    Cool... :cool:

11. A automobile battery and a small power inverter will run a small bass amp like a 25 watt Fender or Crate. You can find these at camping stores mine came from a garage sale for five dollars. Just check the input power listed on a plate on (Usually)the back ov the amp and get an inverter with more power.