1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need BC Rich help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lazarus.Bird, May 13, 2011.

1. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Found a mbird on my local CList advertised as a BC Rich Mockingbird NJ Series and that is the only info provided. There was also a very poor grainy picture. After some google image searching I found a better picture of the same model bass but can't find any info. Here is the picture:

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell me what this is to find more info on it? Looks like it's a bolt on as there is no neck thru strip? What year were these made? How much would a good condition one sell for? Sorry if the answer to this is obvious, but I'm not very familiar with BC Rich model names and am having a hard time finding any type of spec sheet or any info at all.

2. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Anyone? :)

3. Lakland55

Lakland55

Dec 13, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I once bought a BC Rich Mockingbird NT (neck thru, P/J set up) a couple years ago and I paid roughly $500.00 for it new.

4. UncleMattGuy

UncleMattGuy

Jan 26, 2011
    BC Rich is one of the saddest stories in guitars In my lifetime. I'm an older guy so I remember when they first started showing up. For the first few years they were pretty much all custom orders. Late 70"s production was up and running and if it said BC Rich you knew it was gonna be good, innovative and expensive. Their initial extreme high quality made them highly sought after. Then came MTV ( yes there was life before MTV). For some reason I associate the fall of BCR with MTV. What was once a high end boutique-ish brand with an unquestionable rep began making slapped together junk that looked like the real deal but retailed in the $250- 350 range. I find it sad that someone worked so hard to establish a name that meant quality and innovation and drove it into the ground by licensing it out to substandard Korean manufacturers. Now it's a crap shoot with BCR. Late 70's early 80"s are awesome. After that you may as well have a knock off.

5. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Found out it's a 2006 and Made in China. Have no issues with foreign imports but I stay away from Chinese. If I want a Mockingbird I think I'll save for one of the nicer ones.

6. UncleMattGuy

UncleMattGuy

Jan 26, 2011
    +1

7. Lazerrus

Lazerrus

Dec 18, 2010
    PM sent....................

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I was hoping it would turn out to be an older, korean version of the nj bolt on mockingbird. But o well. The chinese made versions vary. A store near me back in kc mo area had both the korean and chinese versions of several of the classic series guitars. The chinese versions had less detail in the fretboard inlays, they looked cheaper. The chinese versions seemed ok but just not as nice as the korean versions of same classic models. (mockingbird and bich guitars for what they had both versions of, chinese and korean).

9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I didn't know that they made them in Korea... but it figures. I have see ads for the newer Chinese version...

I wonder how much a real US BC Rich from the old days goes for...

10. UncleMattGuy

UncleMattGuy

Jan 26, 2011
    Super sweet 1980 violet pearl mb on eBay for 3k

11. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    The owner just emailed me back and told me it's Made in Korea. Seems the guy that I contacted at BC Rich was way off. Now I am confused!

12. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    All of the Korean NJ's that I have looked at and played (5) Were IMO very well made with nice fit & finish that fit very well in their price range. The necks & frets were nice, pre & pups are good, depends on your taste. I played one with passive quarter ponders that was killer. The red ones are the most popular with the black next. The clear one in your photo is rare. All the ones that I have looked at were $325-450 a nice clean clear one like in your photo should be worth $400+

The easy way to tell the Korean from the Chinese made ones is the "Clouds" if the fret marker is a small cloud just slightly larger than a normal dot it is Korean if they are large clouds they are Chinese.

The photo you posted is the small cloud.