1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need better J burp.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by n1as, Mar 11, 2016.

1. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    I have a Warmoth J bass that sounds great but doesn't quite have that great burp tone with the bridge PU.

Neck is maple, steel bars.
    Body is chambered swamp ash
    Pickups are DiMarzio Ultra Jazz.
    Passive V B T controls, .047 orange-drop cap. IIRC, the V and B controls are both 500k and the T is 250k.

When I solo the bridge and roll the tone off I get a bump I'm kids as the tone hits 0 but it isn't as pronounced as I would like.

I presume it is because I'm using split coil hum buckers rather than single coil?

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Is the pickup spacing 60s or 70s? Yes, the split coils will make a difference as well.

3. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    A couple of ideas.....a m/n taper blend pot has a better sound than an a/b, don't know which you have, having a blend pot adds one more resistor to the circuit (one more pot), I never liked the tone with either 500k, or 250k pots, but YMMV( it could be argued that it does not matter electrically, especially with a 500k blend pot). Those are nice split coil pickups, (I prefer split coil jazz pickups), but they will not nail the single coil sound, part of the difference might be just what you can't get in the way of tone, even though hearing, and taste is subjective. All the singles I have been through are too noisy for my taste, I've been through several sets of both on my Jazz bass, before hearing the split coils I have now, and thinking "that's it!"

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  4. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    It is 60's spacing. I suspect this doesn't help.

m/n vs a/b - sorry, you lost me. My blend pot is a dual 500k where the center detent has each side at 500k and as you rotate it holds one side at 500k ohms while the other goes from 500k to 0 ohms. I picked 500k for the balance and vol to compensate for having the extra 500k pot in the circuit due to the blend control. My pickups are split coil Ultra Jazz, higher impedance I suspect than single coil and that may change the resonate peak with the tone pot at 0 ohms.

Or maybe as winegamd suggests, I just need a different cap.

5. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    CS60s or Pickup Wizard 60s pu's will fix that

madjazzbass likes this.
  6. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    The difference in the taper (on a graph, the curve of the resistance) is that M/N does not drop volume when in the center the way that an A/C, or A/B pot will, the resistance on a graph isn't actually linear, (a straight line), with the wrong blend pot taper it won't actually give 100% volume, there's a drop in the middle position, giving aprox. 75% volume, in practice, I've found that an M/N taper blend pot, works best, (many are marked with those letters on the fiberglass wafer, or casing), Line6man put me on to the difference, and could explain in more detail l than I did, and Walterw suggested not grounding any lugs on the blend pot, and that sounded even better. My only purpose in the post was to try to help you get the best out of the setup, after having tried different setups using blend over the years, Line6man, and Walterw taught me how to get the most out of it, from reading here.

7. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    This makes sense to me. I picked the Ultra Jazz because I wanted a neck PU that would approximate a P bass. I was able to coax a bit more mid burp out of the bass by using a sweepable mid EQ set to about 800 Hz but the bandwidth was too wide to do a true convincing job of it.

A PU swap may well be in order here ...

8. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    Here's my first change to get more burp from my otherwise wonderful Warmoth J.

First realigned my brain by going to Guitar Center and played a couple of low cost Fender J basses trying to see how much burp they produce. Not as much as I though. OK, so my bass isn't so far off the mark. Then I pulled out the 500K blend pot and replaced it with a 250k pot, converting from V-B-T to V-V-T. All 3 pots are 250k and the tone cap is .047 uF. Pretty standard stuff. I played through a good high fidelity amp system so I could really hear all that the bass was giving.

The net result is that the instrument does sound better to me. The tone control seems to do more when rolled to the darkest setting.

My next step (If I feel another step is needed) would be to replace the pickups with something with more midrange focus.

9. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I also think your ultra jazz pickups are to blame. Too modern sounding. Try an ultra jazz at the neck to cop your P tone and an are jazz at the bridge for your burp.

10. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    Yes, thanks. Mixing and matching may be a bit tricky due to output levels.

BUT I have an out. I have one P bass and another on the way (flats / rounds) so if I need the P sound I have it. That frees up my J to not have to copy the P sound so I am free to let the J be a J. :)

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  11. RattleSnack

RattleSnack Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Pickups are to blame, mids contribute to burp.

And I believe that neck pick does "burp". Bridge does "growl".

12. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    There ya go! I dunno how you feel about Seymour Duncan's, but I put SJ5's in my 5 string jazz simply because the really boost the mids. I get tons of compliments on how much growl and snarl my jazz has in the mix.

13. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Which model of Semour Duncan's were they....? SJ5...?

reddog likes this.
  14. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    chiplexic likes this.
  15. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    That's funny. My ears hear the opposite. The neck growls and the bridge burps. Just my opinion, of course.

16. RattleSnack

RattleSnack Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Hey, someone should make a poll! :bassist:

17. cvsurg

cvsurg Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    FL
    OK. My response is- Carrots.

18. Yeah, if you want burp the Model J's or Nordstrand NJ4se are the way to go. The Bart 9j is pretty growly, but they are more mushy and compressed than the defined growl of the Dimarzio or Nordstrand offerings.

19. There is a really good test on YouTube of 11 different jazz pickups through multiple settings and techniques. It really shows what each one can do.