Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need big ideas/advice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Okay, so here's the set up. Two years ago a couple of friends and I came up with the idea of using our church basement to hold concerts for local garage bands. We called it MusicHaven, and wanted it to be a safe place for kids to play and listen to music. The church actually liked the idea (believe me, I was surprised!!) since we wanted this to be a safe alternative to having local kids go into downtown Portland late at night. We held our first concert on October 1 of 2003. We had three bands play, and ended up with about 120 kids attending (not bad for only putting out 50 flyers!!)

Well, it's 2 years later now. We have had almost 50 different bands play, and are consistantly pulling in 60+ people. Not the greatest turn out to a concert ever, but not bad for a bunch of high-school garage bands promoting by word-of-mouth. We are all official with our non-profit tax ID number, a website that gets updated whenever Matt gets to it ( www.musichaven.org ) our own bank account, and a bit of grant money from a couple of sources.

Here's my dilema. The bass player for one of the bands that used to play at MusicHaven is now the Student Activities Coordinator at the local community college, where I attend. He wants to have MusicHaven up there. He knows we don't want to move locales, so he wants us to set up a second branch on campus staffed by student and faculty.

Now, this is a big step for us. We are still trying to get our name out there, and get new and cool bands to come and play. The problem we have run into in the past, though, is that it's kinda hard to get 13-18 year olds to come to a free concert on a Saturday night. At a college with 25,000 students, however, we are almost assured a large crowd.

This is where I, I mean we, need advice. Should we give them access to our name and logo, write up a contract, and set them on their merry way? Should we try and have a more direct control over this by making sure that ORIGINAL MusicHaven staff members are on the new committee? Or should we tell them to use the idea but not the name?

Remember, this is all being done by unpaid highschool volunteers. All of our equipment has been bought with donations (which we need badly, hint hint;)) and the vast majority if us have real lives (school, work, etc.)

I'm at a loss. I'm not sure what we should do. I could see this spiraling out of control very quickly, or I could see it die just as fast. Any recommendations? And please, no silly stuff. This is something that I take seriously. I've put a lot of time, effort, and even money into this, and I want to see it blossom into something that I can be really proud of.

If you want directions to the next event, or want to donate, please e-mail or PM me. Or visit the website. Or fly over here and hand me a large pile of money. Small bills, unmarked and non-sequential, please.:D

Rock on
    Eric

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sounds like the school needs to make a meaningful contribution to your non-profit for licensing the idea. The money could be used to defray expenses and such, and if it gets big, perhaps pay some of the volunteers or even a foundation director (you).

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Use the idea but not the name, IMO.

College is a very different place.

Strange things go on at college campuses. :)

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    If you are not allowed a measure of control over the event at the college, do not associate yourself with it. Selling the name and idea to someone else will spiral out of control if you have no control over it.

-Mike

5. Thanks for the ideas guys.

I am hoping that we can simply liscence the name out. Since I'm going to this school, and so is my sister and another member of the MH staff, I thought that I could try and keep some semblance of control over this whole thing. Basically I'm going into thise with both feet planted, so if something goes wrong I can try and stop it.

On a different note, how DO you go about getting a name and logo copywrighted? I know it has to do with the patent office, but I'm pretty well stymed when it comes to this.

(heh heh, cool. I used the word "stymed" in a sentance. I'm a language loser.)

Rock on
    Eric

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Actually....it is stymIed you spelling loser. :)

-Mike

7. Shut up, you know what I meant.:D

And my question still stands. How DO you go about copywrighting a name/logo?

Rock on
    Eric

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

http://www.copyright.gov/

I'm not sure, but I think you actually may want a trademark or service mark?

9. Yeah, that got explained to me last night. So the question turns into, "How do I TRADEMARK our name and logo?"

Rock on
    Eric

10. Dude, that's so indie. :-D

11. Hmm. Maybe our new logo should be an Indy car.

Or is that too bad of a pun?

Rock on
    Eric

12. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Colleges are very different from typical youngster venues..

However, what about setting up a gig where the more progressed youngster bands could get a "large gig" from the CollegeHaven happening with "grown-up" college student bands, and these could be had perhaps once a couple months?