1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Big Power In A Small Package

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rick in Dixie, Apr 22, 2010.

1. I need some ideals for a new Amp, I want big power but I want to travel light, I play with a professional Southern Gospel Quartet, 4 piece band, Piano, Drums, Steel Guitar and of course Bass. I've been lugging a Peavey TNT 115 around too long, it's heavy and I'm getting older. I normally go through the PA system as well. Can someone suggest a good Amp that will produce at least 300 watts but be able to be used with a 2/12 cabinet, I don't really want a combo unit, I have space issues on the Bus and I know a 2/12 will be easier fit in the stowage. any ideals would be appreciated. Budget is flexible but I would like to keep as much money in my pocket as I can if you know what I mean.........Thank Guys

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Markbass little mark 3 is really nice.

3. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
  4. DrVenkman

DrVenkman

Jan 22, 2010
    Pacific NW
    I know you said no combos, but take a look at the new Gallien-Krueger (MB210 or MB212). Light, loud, DI out, and in each case not much bigger than just a cab. The 212 is 500 watts and weights about 36 lbs.

The Genz Benz Shuttles are very nice, but pricier. I know less about them, but Mark Bass has some very light weight, powerful heads that are quite popular around here.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    nowadays pretty much everybody has a really light micro-amp except aguilar and hartke. but the two big players in the game currently are markbass and genz-benz. i used to own a markbass little mark 2 and loved it. only reason i sold it is because i went back to tube amps full-time. they no longer make the lm2, but the current lm3 is the same basic amp, and they also have a preamp tube-equipped lm tube. i've also played a couple of the genz benz shuttle series amps and loved them too, but they're a bit different tonal flavor than markbass, though no less good...just different. unfortunately, those are the only ones i've played so i can't tell you much about the other ones.

as for 212 cabs, i don't know much about them, although the genz benz uber 212t and neox 212t get a lot of love on here.

i'm sure others will chime in with their favorites as well, but that's what i know.

6. burl0029

burl0029 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    St. Paul Park, MN
    I'll second this. I just got the MB212 and it's fantastic. I've played the 210 and it sounds really good as well.

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    For not a lot of cash, I would definitely take a look at what Markbass has to offer... I'd also look at what my sig has to offer :smug:

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    All I can offer is what works for me, a Mesa Walkabout head, (best tone from a hybrid amp, ever), through a Genz Benz Uber 212. Smokin hot rig, with enough power and volume to play hard rock, 4 pc band.

9. Orange Tiny Terror Bass amp and the cabinet of your choice. Not real cheap, but a great amp the size of a lunchbox with 500 watts to either 8 ohm or 4 ohm.

10. LARUMBLE

LARUMBLE

Feb 11, 2005
  11. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    If you're normally going through a PA, then a 2x10 should probably work for you. In which case, you might consider an Ibanez Promethean. It's a 1x10 combo that is 250W by itself and 500W if you add an extension cab. You can get an Ibanez 1x10 extension cab for it and fit the 2 10's in a much smaller space than just a 2x12 cab by itself.

The 1x10 combo weighs 28 pounds. And the 1x10 extension cab is 21 pounds.

You can get the Promethean P5110C 1x10 combo from MusiciansFriend right now in Used - Like New condition, with a coupon, for $556. Or, at least, you could yesterday....

500W through 2 10's should be enough for what you need....

12. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    +1 Or, ditch the 212 and pick up the Walkabout Scout 12 combo. I'm constantly amazed at all the different situations you can cover with a Scout 12.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    A GK MB500 with your current 2x12 is definitely worth considering, and fairly affordable. The Carvin BX500 is also quite good, and packs a lot of punch (and features!) for the money.

14. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    I use a Promethean head on a GB neoX 212. Small footprint, big sound.

15. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    GK MB or Ibanez promethean