1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Bongo experts input here!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Apr 17, 2006.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    Well i finaly decided to sell the vigier and get a 24 fret 4 string bass, I have in mind getting either a bongo, a stramer S1 or a thumb N/T.
    But at the moment the bongo HH looks, versatility and price make me really want one. But the problem i've got with it is that super narrow space between the neck pickup and the neck, i need a 4 string bass to master double-thumping/pluck, so i need room to put my index and ring fingers between the strings and the pickup. Can some of the bongo 4 users, specially HH, how comfortable is it to slap and DT???? And what is EBMM string to pickup recommended distance?

2. I've always had trouble with double plucking on a Bongo, to tell you the truth. I've just bought an American Jazz and found that it was a thousand times easier. However, others have done it with no problem, so you'd just have to see how it fits you.

3. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Well, at first for me it was hard, and I still havn't mastered it on my bongo, but it's really not as bad as many make it out to be, it has a great deal to do with your action set up. I recently adjusted my truss rod and DT became a bit harder again. You need to try it though. If you can't do it at first though, don't let that bother you. Your playing style may adjust to acomidate the difference. BTW, check out an H bongo. Almost as versitle and much better for DT.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would defintely look at the H bongos.