Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Boston-Salem family hotel recommendation

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Oct 4, 2005.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    My first real vacation in 2 1/2 years. Heading to see my brother in CT at month's end. Can anyone recommend a nice higher end hotel/motel somewhere between Salem and Boston? Chain OK. Mostly interested in new and clean.

Also, if you have any Boston/Salem "must-do" things, please let me know. So far we've got:

Freedom Trail/Boston Commons
    Salem

Thanks.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I grew up just north of Salem, in Manchester MA. You're headed to Salem during 'DANGER TIME'. So, it's gonna be packed with tons of spook seeking tourists...they mostly go to places like the "Witch Museum" and similar places. If you're into that, then it will be no problem to ferret out a pile of that stuff once you get there. I like the old sea-captain culture of Salem better, and a bunch of their old houses have been restored and are available for tour (not probably much fun for small kids or those not interested in old stuff). I'd also suggest a tour of Hawthorne's 'House of Seven Gables" which is in the same neighborhood.

I'd suggest heading up to the Magnolia/Gloucester direction and visiting Hammond Castle...a real Italian medieval castle that's been transported to a cliff on the coast to house the original owners' collection of antiquities. During the halloween season they do events there like candlelight showings of vintage horror movies in the great hall and midnight organ concerts on one of the biggest privately owned pipe organs in the world. They do tours daily too and its definitely worth it. http://www.hammondcastle.org/

Beyond that, there's tons in Boston...what kind of stuff do you like to do and what are the interests of those travelling with you?

3. I would highly recomend the North End (the italian district) for food/history. The Old North church is there and about 500 sm~~~ family italian resurants. Dolce Vita is amazing and Mike's Pastry is top notch. It's not very far from the freedom trail I believe/I know theres a stop on the Orange line. Take the subway (the T) it rocks.
    Berklee has concerts every night at their performance h~~~, some great music. The Harvard area is cool to check out. You could always go to the Blue Man group. If you wanna stay in the city theres the westin thats smack in the middle. Newbury street can be a neat street to walk around and go to copley square.
    have fun

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Definitely walk Newbury and get some food there. Drop by Berklee too, hell I could even get you in and show you around :p Be aware I'm a horrible tour guide.