1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Cab advice: 1x10 or 1x12 i think....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zapp, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    gang
    started using a yorkie XS400 head, and it has quickly pointed out the deficiency of my small Avatar 15 cab. I get either a lot of Boom, which is not really pleasant and is a function of the fundamental resonance of the little box, or if I really really cut down on the bass frequencies, the cab is not very efficient in the midrange, so I have to really crank on the power which is just not a great way to fix something.

I want a single 10" in a super cabinet... I favor ARTICULATION over window-shattering low end... the latter is easy and the former not so easy.

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!!!!

thanks
    z

2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    With a 15 already, 10"

3. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I'd personally look at 2x10. A single 10"er could easily be overwhelmed by the 15.

4. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    ooohhhhhh. thanks team. I mis-lead in my original post.
    I am looking to use a new cabinet BY ITSELF... independent of the 15 or anything else.

I recently played for a few days a 2x10 w/horn cab that was built side-by-side and it was a very good cab, with huge range, and a great value, but it was a wide [or tall... take your pick] rectangle that was unwieldy to tote around, and offered little enough advantage that I took it back. That, plus the recent experience, leads me to the question at hand: what are some good SINGLE-speaker cabs?

z

5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    In that case go for the 12". I don't see a single 10" hacking anything other than as a personal (ie: by yourself) practice cab.

6. Two Epi 110's would be pretty strong. I used the 110 by itself for a house party and it was rockin, loud and strong. I wouldn't recommend it for a 5-string bass though. For any kind of serious playing I'd say get at least 2 -- they're so light and portable, there's no reason not to get two...oh yeah, the price...

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The Epifani 112's are amazing. I would choose one of them hands down as a single cab, and that IS what I have chosen. You should also take a look at the Bergantino's, and EA's.

-Mike

8. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    mike, I'll check it out. thx for the tip

doesn't eden make a 110 ?

z

9. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I use an Epifani 112 for many gigs, depending on the venue, I'll take a second 112 for the larger venues. The 112 handles a low B very well and has a great range in tone frequencies.
    A 112 will get you around a lot better than a 110.