Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Cab advice: 1x10 or 1x12 i think....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zapp, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    gang
    started using a yorkie XS400 head, and it has quickly pointed out the deficiency of my small Avatar 15 cab. I get either a lot of Boom, which is not really pleasant and is a function of the fundamental resonance of the little box, or if I really really cut down on the bass frequencies, the cab is not very efficient in the midrange, so I have to really crank on the power which is just not a great way to fix something.

I want a single 10" in a super cabinet... I favor ARTICULATION over window-shattering low end... the latter is easy and the former not so easy.

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!!!!

thanks
    z

2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    With a 15 already, 10"

3. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I'd personally look at 2x10. A single 10"er could easily be overwhelmed by the 15.

4. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    ooohhhhhh. thanks team. I mis-lead in my original post.
    I am looking to use a new cabinet BY ITSELF... independent of the 15 or anything else.

I recently played for a few days a 2x10 w/horn cab that was built side-by-side and it was a very good cab, with huge range, and a great value, but it was a wide [or tall... take your pick] rectangle that was unwieldy to tote around, and offered little enough advantage that I took it back. That, plus the recent experience, leads me to the question at hand: what are some good SINGLE-speaker cabs?

z

5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    In that case go for the 12". I don't see a single 10" hacking anything other than as a personal (ie: by yourself) practice cab.

6. Two Epi 110's would be pretty strong. I used the 110 by itself for a house party and it was rockin, loud and strong. I wouldn't recommend it for a 5-string bass though. For any kind of serious playing I'd say get at least 2 -- they're so light and portable, there's no reason not to get two...oh yeah, the price...

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The Epifani 112's are amazing. I would choose one of them hands down as a single cab, and that IS what I have chosen. You should also take a look at the Bergantino's, and EA's.

-Mike

8. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    mike, I'll check it out. thx for the tip

doesn't eden make a 110 ?

z

9. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I use an Epifani 112 for many gigs, depending on the venue, I'll take a second 112 for the larger venues. The 112 handles a low B very well and has a great range in tone frequencies.
    A 112 will get you around a lot better than a 110.