1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need cab advice... Brands and configs...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greengoblin, Apr 8, 2009.

Which cab set-up?

Poll closed May 8, 2009.
  1. single Avatar 4x10 4ohm

26 vote(s)
    36.6%
  2. Single Eden Nemesis 4x10 4ohm

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. Avatar 2x10 8ohm and add on more 2x10's

11 vote(s)
    15.5%
  4. Eden Nemesis 2x10 8ohm and add more..

10 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. used Mesa 2x10 and probably go with Avatar 2x10's later.

15 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. I have an older Fender BXR300C combo that has served me well and I like the tone except I am getting tired of the 15. Not sure if it is needing replaced or not, but it sounds a bit muddy to me. Kept up with the rest of my band back home nicely and had plenty of headroom..

Have always wanted 10's and was planning on pulling the BXR head and going with a nice 4x10 cab.. Recently I have been reading threads on portability, and cab configurations so I have started leaning towards picking up some 2x10 cabs one at a time(as funds allow) until I get three to make a 6x10. Granted that will cost more in the long run, but will give me the flexibility of only using one or two cabs if need be.(i know that 3 cabs together will not work with the BXR and a head upgrade would come into play at that point)...

So I have been planning on ordering from Avatar as I keep reading all of the great reviews from you guys here on the boards.. Keep going back and forth between (1) 4 ohm 4x10 cab or start with (1) 8 ohm 2x10... But today I stopped by my local shop and they had a couple more options so I thought I would come to you guys for advice....

My local store carries Eden and Mesa... They have the Nemesis Series cabs on the floor. A 4x10 as well as a 2x10 for decent prices new... They also had a used Mesa 2x10 ported cab...

What are your guys feelings between the cabs and routes??

Avatar vs Nemesis cabs for the 4x10's
    Avatar vs Nemesis vs used Mesa for the 2x10's

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated..

As for style of play and music.. I play with a pick and play punk... Ramones, Social D, Suicidal Tendencies, Pennywise, Minor Threat...

2. tmw

tmw Gold Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Delmar, NY

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  4. bfc

bfc

Feb 15, 2008
    Fenton, MO
    2x10 with a 1x15

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    +1

6. Go with the Eden gear. It sounds great, sound guys never cus you for having to work too hard, and if it comes at a good price .... that makes it better:)

7. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    I would go wih the 4 ohm Avatar 410. That woudl maximize your useage of your current head and you could still add another 210 (with a head upgrade) at a later date. This would still let you run 2, 4 , or 6 10s like you want and should save you a few bucks since a 410 costs a bit less than 2 210s.

IMO/YMMV

8. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Let me know if I missed something here..

You are wanting to run six 10's off a BXR 300, correct? As in, no additional amplification? If this is what you're trying to accomplish, there's one thing that you're forgetting..

The BXR 300 will run at no less than a 4 Ohm load. So.. If you get the Avatar 4 ohm, that's what you're limited to. Get a pair of 8 ohm cabs, and you'll be fine, whether it's a 4X10, 2X10, 1X15, etc.

And yeah, Avatar cabs are exceptionally good cabs for the money. :)

9. Yeah, I stated that once I went to 3 cabs I would need a head upgrade... But no biggie. :D It does have a preamp out though so I could technically get an external slave amp to run another cab.... But at that time I would probably svae up for a SVT II or similar...

Leaning towards the Avatar cab... But the Eden is local and I would like to spend some cabbage at this shop as the owner is really nice..

10. Jehos

Jehos

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    2x10 + 1x15.

Had an Eden Metro 2x10 combo, it was ok but never went really deep on a low B. Traded in for a Markbass 2x10 combo, same problem. Added a Markbass 1x15 and I'm a happy camper. Definition on the high end, real power on the low end. I play a 6-string, so I really need both.

To me it's the best of all worlds--loud enough, defined enough, deep enough, and portable enough. Not perfect at any one of those things, but an excellent jack-of-all-trades with no one area weaker than the others. I'd say the only shortcoming would be lack of moving air vs. an 8x10 or 2x15, but those aren't what you're looking for anyway I'm guessing.

11. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    I play an Eden D210XLT either alone, or stacked on an Eden D115XL.

I LOVE these cabs. I can't make it clear enough. They are great.