1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Cab Advice w/TC RH450

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tonyp145, Aug 24, 2012.

1. tonyp145

tonyp145

Apr 1, 2012
    Kent, WA
    I'm still getting my equipment sorted out and could use a little advice. I just ordered a TC RH450 yesterday, got a good deal on it and the pedal from Zzounds and the pay as you go option just made it a no-brainer. I've wanted one of these ever since they came out so I'm excited about it. Now I have to figure out what speakers to match it to.

I'm playing in a 3-piece blues band and use an Ibanez bass with flats on it for a quasi-old school sound. Currently I have an Ibanez Promethean P5110 combo running to a G-K 115MBE extension cab for 4 ohms. Both pieces are serviceable, but I'll probably sell the P5110 to free up some cash and I could sell the G-K as well. I like the TC cabs (RS210, 212) but they're a little pricey so I'm trying to figure out if I should keep the G-K 115 and just add the RS210 to it or if I should bite the bullet, sell it and go with the TC vertical stack.

I know there are folks here with strong opinions on mixing cabs so I could just match the G-K cab I have. It was cheap -- $200 bucks at GC -- and they have an identical mate now for $169 so I could just go with 2 lightweight, cheap 15s, but I was playing through a MarkBass Traveler (210) yesterday and really like the sound of 10s, so I'm conflicted (hence the thread).

So what do people think? I'm open to suggestions, but it's gotta be lightweight (no 410s in my future). I'm especially hoping to hear from other RH owners who have tried these heads with different cabs. Thanks for your time.

2. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    Another matching GK 15 sounds like a fine idea. I would take your cab and your new head to GC when you get it and try the whole thing out in the store and see how you like it.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    No matter what you end up with, a pair of identical matched cabs will always be the best bet. And, you can't really generalize about how a cab sounds based on the size of the spkr. You liked that particular 2x10, but that doesn't mean you'd prefer 10's in general. I'd look for something you DO like, and get 2 of them, 8 ohms ea of course.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Try it with your GK 15 by itself. If you like the tone, get another one of the same thing. If not, try it with some other cabs.

5. tonyp145

tonyp145

Apr 1, 2012
    Kent, WA
    Thanks guys, good advice. So far the G-K has sounded good by itself with the Promethean head, and it's been okay as an extension to the combo. I just know that the RH450 is a dark sounding head and I'm playing with flatwound strings so I thought it might be a good idea to balance all that with 10s. I'm concerned the 15s might lack presence and note definition. But of course I won't know until I try.

Getting the other 115MBE is certainly the cheapest solution to maximizing the power in that head, I just want to be sure I've got the best sounding rig I can afford. Same as everybody else right? Anyway, I'm still hoping to hear from other RH450 owners. My head is due to be delivered Tuesday, I'm excited.

6. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    GC has a 30 day return. Go get your other 115 and see how you like it or see if you can bring your stuff in and demo it with both cabs. I like the 10's sound personally or even the 212 cab is really nice and a little darker than the 10's. I haven't played an RS212 through an RH450 but it sounded killer through a Streamliner 9.0. There's quite a few RH450 threads to read up on the various combinations of cabs. Check them out. Lots of experience here at TB.