Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need cab construction help--wiring

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TxBass, Nov 6, 2002.

1. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    Trying to finish up my first cab construction and I'm to the wiring part. I'm building a 1x15 cab. I have a jackplate that has 2 x 1/4" inputs and 2x bare wire inputs(which I'm not gonna use). The jack plate has three sets of wires: red/black, red/white, blue/black(which appears to be the loop for the bare wires). The speaker is a Madison 1590. I assume that hooking up the red/black set will do it and I just leave the others hang...but before I plug anything in and hurt my little project I wanted some "reassurances" from those in the "know".

If you need more specific info I can try...thanks for the help. (I'll send pics tonight if I can get it done).

:)

2. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    I would wire all the connectors. That gives you the option to use what ever connector you wish to hook up the cab. You could wire the red+red+blue to one of the speaker luggs, and the black+white+black to the other!

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Second the notion to connect all (or at least both 1/4") jacks. That way you are prepared if you want to chain two cabinets together later on.

On the other hand it will be no big deal to unscrew the plate and connect them later if you want to.

Another bonus of connecting all cables is that you will not have any loose stuff that might rattle or short-circuit something. If you don't connect them, remove them or secure with cable-ties.

4. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I appreciate the advice...I was guessing that the extra set of red/white was if I had two speakers running in series...and since I don't have that I didn't need it? I just don't want to do something stupid and be out a new 15" speaker. Sounds like as long as I keep red/blue to one side and white/black to the other I can't do any harm...

any other help/experience is appreciated--I'm comfortable admitting my electrical knowledge shortfalls...:D

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Just keep the "plusses" to one side and the "minuses" to the other, and you should be fine. I don't always trust pre-wired things to be done up right, so if you have something to check the polarity with that always eases the mind. If you can see the solder points on the jack plate then there should be no problem sorting them out visually.

This setup would give you parallell connections of speakers chained together by the way, which is what you want.

6. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    This is how it turned out. thanks for the wiring advice. it sounds great, now I've got some bottom end to go with a 4x10. (I named it after my son...but my wife says it is nothing like giving birth--of course!);)

7. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    and as soon as I figure out how to properly add the picture, I will...

8. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    another try...

9. just curious what is the freq. response of your cab???
    and with the ports what is the cab tuned to??

10. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    well...what I tried to do was build it to the specs of the Madison cab (MAB 152) since they use the same speaker, and they say the freq response is 30-4000, efficiency at 96db. Now, whether that is true for mine?? Don't know, but when I sit it side-by-side with my 4x10 the lowB is more present as I kinda figured it might be. The real test won't come till I get it to practice and see if it can hang...