1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Cabs for a SWR550X

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ralphieboy57, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Picked up a SWR 550x head. Its got power, and its clean. But I want to get as much low end as I can. Here are specs.
    Power Ratings (minimum) 550 Watts @ 4 ohms 375 Watts @ 8 ohms

This means you can safely use: a) a single 8 ohm cabinet b) a single 4 ohm cabinet c) two 8 ohm cabinets (total: 4 ohms) d) two 16 ohm cabinets (total: 8 ohms)

And you cannot safely use: a) one 8 ohm cabinet and one 4 ohms cabinet (total: 2.6 ohms) b) two 4 ohms cabinets (total: 2 ohms) c) one 2 ohm cabinet.

Im new to SWR so what Cabs would you buy if you had my amp. Im looking for low end. I know SWR are very clean and lean on the treble side of things. Thank you for your knowlege...

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    If weight is not an issue, you can score used SWR cabs for cheap these days.

How large a rig are you looking to put together?

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Get a pair of 8 ohms Acme B2 210 cabinets. One for practice and smaller gigs, both in a vertical stack for bigger gigs. They bring the lows.

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    +1

If you like the 410s Id highly recommend an SWR Goliath III .

BrentSimons likes this.
  5. I would like to run two separate cabs, a 2x10(4x10 maybe) and a 1x15 cab.

6. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    I'd suggest the 210/115 combination over the 410/115. It will be more forgiving in terms of balance between the cabs.

That said, I'm an SWR fan and I tend to be a bit on the frugal side so I'd say go look for used SWR cabs. Goliath Jr. and Son of Bertha can be found for a couple of hundred each. Make sure the speakers aren't shot though.

BrentSimons likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 10, 2021