1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Chicago Area Tech

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by g4string, Mar 28, 2009.

1. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Any good techs that I can trust for fret work?

2. ReBass

ReBass Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Third Coast is excellent. They're in the city and at a couple suburban GCs, I think.

3. skotsour

skotsour

Mar 4, 2009
    Chicago
    Players Guitar in Worth. Excellent guys, great work.

4. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I'm a fan of Specimen Guitar's work (north side).

5. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    I've used Third Coast Guitars and had a fine experience with them. They are located in most Chicago area GC's. The ones in Villa Park and Chicago have "booths." The GC in Arlington Heights has an actual shop.

That said, I'm about to have Fralins installed and have a setup done at The Chicago Bass Club. It appeals to me that the work is being done at an establishment that only has love for the lower end.

6. bluehevy75

bluehevy75

Dec 1, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I've had good work done at 3rd Coast.

The techs at Chicago Music Exchange are really good but sometimes I'm afraid of that place...I don't feel like I'm cool enough to be in there.

I wandered into Chicago Guitar and Amplifier once (near Lincoln Square) and they seemed super cool and had a really cool shop.

7. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
  8. N8116B

N8116B

Jan 14, 2008
    Earth
    Have you ever been in the Chicago Bass Club?

They have a lot of regular guitars too. I would say at least the same as the basses, maybe even just a wee bit more.

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

The Bass club of Chicago share space with Make N Music that's why there's so many guitars in there.

And there are a little more than double the amount of guitars there.

http://www.makenmusic.com/

10. N8116B

N8116B

Jan 14, 2008
    Earth
  11. Illinimax

Illinimax

Oct 11, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Some thoughts:

+1 on Tim Schroeder doing great work. In the same building as Bass Club Chicago/Make N Music

The best fretwork I've experienced is from Rick Cremer
    http://www.cremerguitarworks.com/

Don't the guys at Lakland do Plek jobs for pretty much any bass?

12. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
  13. Joe Campagna at Guitar Tech Services in Clarendon Hills does all of my stuff and he is excellent. 630-655-1503.

14. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    I have to admit, I haven't been there yet. I will be visiting "The Club" this week to check it out and have a new pickup installed/setup on my P-bass.

15. hemhaw

hemhaw

Dec 12, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    +2 Cremer for fret work

I can say from personal experience that my best experiences have been with Cremer guitar works. I have been going to them for years. The only issue is that Aurora is a bit of a drive from Chicago and they get so much work that you need to book in advance when you will drop off and pick up an instrument. Well worth it if this is not a major issue. ( g4string, I would imagine Aurora may be easier to get to than Chicago from Rockford)
    In fact I had them build a custom jazz bass for me years ago.
    Later I needed a quick setup on that bass and did not have the time to schedule taking it to Cremers so I took to Lakland. Before lakland started the skyline series, for a time they were willing to work on not lakland basses. When I picked it up Dan and their main tech (forgot his name), both super nice guys, could not say enough about the fret work on the bass.

I also have wanted to hear more about Chicago Tech.

I don't wish to bad talk anyone but I have had some mixed experiences with a couple of chicago techs. Obviously other have had different experiences from mine.

I have had 2 friends that have had less than idea experience with Specimen.
    The one time I when to Specimen and asked the owner what he would charge to refinish a fender guitar body on a guitar I was considering buying he quoted me $1200. I felt the owner was rather hard to communicate with.

Tim Schroeder does do good work. I met him years ago when he work alone out of a small shop. The issue I had with his current shop is that if you take an instruments there you are not assured he will be there or if he will be the one who works on your instrument. He also has a number of younger people working on the instruments that are brought in. When I brought in my instrument I felt they did not do the work I asked or paid for and I never saw Tim either time I was in the shop.

I was recommend Geoff Benge. http://www.geoffbengesguitarshop.com/index.html
    I am very curious to hear if anyone has had experiences with him.

16. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I am heading into the city to see Carl Pedigo at Lakland today........I guess it's still cool that they are able to work on non-Lakland stuff.

17. N8116B

N8116B

Jan 14, 2008
    Earth
    It is an interesting place in an interesting local. There is also an amp repair shop next door. It was a busy place to be sure.

18. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    i will always recomend 3rd coast. they have done some soutstanding work for me.

now i don't know what experiences you guys had with schroeder but i will never step foot in there again. i needed my MTD set up & i was very specific with what i wanted & repeated this many times "i want to keep my action at least as low as it is now but even lower was better"
    well i show up & my action is a 1/4 inch off the fret board & before i even played it i told them this was way too high & it would have to be fixed. they swore to me this was the "proper setup"

it took them 4 more setups before i finally gave up & took it to 3rd coast & they had it done in before the week was over.

19. hemhaw

hemhaw

Dec 12, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    That is good to hear about lakland.
    You should post your result but I imagine you will be very satisfied.
    I don't think I have heard a single bad thing regarding anyone at Lakland.
    My experiences with them were very positive.
    I hope to own one of their basses one day.

20. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I took the LEJ to Carl today......I am glad I did. He is a super guy and does great work. He set-up the bass and examined the fret work and board condition. I have a high spot at the upper register of the board. The LEJ has a really flat profile and wide neck. It makes the bass a little uncomfortable to play. After talking to Carl, I think I might have him re-contour/profile the neck. I think my LEJ needs to be 'Laklandized'!!