Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need combo amp advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by henryjurstin13, Aug 5, 2005.

1. First of all - I will try to cover the basics - I am a new to the bass & have been playing guitar in a rock band for many years... (about 10) We play blues/rock inpired music -- much like the 'jamband' scene if it needs to have a title. Very funky at times & very rockin' at times..

I have a Variax bass & a Fender Bassman 250 2x10. I am looking at a Peavey BAM 2x10 b/c it is louder & a VERY versatile amp. The Fender doens't seem to have enough headroom for me.

The Peavey BAM seems to be a very good amp with many different tones for those still learning what sounds they like best. Like a Line 6 Flextone amp, plenty of versatility to expand with... but, not a top-of-the-line MASSIVE rig. I wish I could find more information about the effects in the Peavey, but I have read everything this forum has to offer on the BAM. I am also in search of an envelope filter for the bass. I have a Q-tron+ which sounds horrible with my bass -- but, my Emma discumBOBulator is very nice, I just want more funk.

I need advice on what rig to move towards. I need volume & versatility.

Thanks.... henry ;)

2. A word of advice. Effects make the guitar world go round, but in the bass world a little effects go a long way. I think we've all at one time or another seen a band live and wanted to choke the living snot out of a bassist who left his chorus or flanger running all night. ;)

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Volume and versatility are best achieved with a separate amp and cab. Perhaps even going with a power and and preamp.

-Mike

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

+1 for the power and pre.

I'm getting a power and pre amp set up, along with 2 8ohm cabs, I'm going to bridge the power amp into 4 ohms and get 1800 watts. If thats not enough headroom for you, then you need some serious firepower.

5. Good thoughts so far... and yes, I know exactly what you mean about over using effects. I just want some different flavors to play with... besides, right now, I am mainly an at home player.

This is where I would ask about what are some preamps.... BUT, since I do actually read the sticky comments & use the search function..... I shall ask what is a good way to search for preamps? Such as terms other than SABDDI.

I think the biggest appeal about the Peavey BAM is the flexibility of tones. To help push me off into the land of OZ, that we call tone.

thanks! henry

6. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    A good way to search for some pre's...try sansamp rbi, bbe bmax or bbe bmax-t, read purity, and demeter, and Alembic F-1X Preaamp.

Hope those help ya out!

-Rob

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You will get some great tones, and a LOT of volume from the BAM combo. But if you want the most versatility, and volume, separates are the way to go. You can add a cab to the BAM to increase volume. However, if you ever get to the point where the max volume from the BAM is no longer enough, you have to sell the whole rig to replace it. If you run a power/pre rig, you may only need to get a bigger power amp.

After you do some reading about preamps, pick out some brands that look to be in you rprice range and tone range. As was suggested, search by that brand name. I honestly believe just about every piece of bass gear known to man has been talked about in this forum.

-Mike