Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need combo amp advice!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Captain Digital, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Captain Digital

Captain Digital

Sep 23, 2001
    Plano TX
    I am in the market for a new bass amp and could use some help.

I currently own/play through a Peavey TKO 75. I just switched to fretless 5-string, and I've found that the Peavey just doesn't seem to have the ability to handle the low B string. I'm playing in a large church auditorium, with the bass signal running through a DI into the main PA. Essentially, the combo amp functions strictly as my personal stage monitor. I've looked at the Hartke Kickback models locally, and like them - at least how they sound in the store. In speaking to a music store owner/friend, he advised me against Hartkes and thought I should go with G-K, SWR, or...Peavey. (He's a Peavey dealer. Go figure.) I've nothing for or against any of these brands - I just want a good combo amp. I need something that can handle the 5-string, and would prefer one with a built-in DI. A kickback-style cabinet would be a "plus." The music I'm playing is mainly in the Southern Baptist repetoire (in other words, anything from church hymns to gospel, R&B, 70's flavored rock and the musical stylings of the Christian equivalents to John Tesh and Barry Manilow). (On the positive side, we are putting together a Big Band for a spring concert, so I'll actually get to play some stuff I like for a change.)

If any of you have some insight as to amp brands/capabilities/weaknesses and can share them, I'd appreciate it. I need something that can handle the B-string, and can handle a wide variety of musical styles.

Thanks!

- Brad

2. I have a Peavey TNT-150 that I use for church, it has a 15" speaker, so it should handle the B just fine. It sounds great to me, and are very cheap to get, I got mine used for $250.

3. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    I have a Peavey TNT115. It handles the B fine. I like the amp. Easy to use, but really really heavey 125lbs:D