Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need combo help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rutkn, Feb 24, 2006.

1. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    hi

i was am going to buy a new amp i decided on one of these.

Peavey 115 combo
    Ashdown mag 210 combo

Can someone tell me which one is better or recommend me another one

thanks in advance

2. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I woul say you cant go wrong with the Ashdown but as the Peavey is a 1x15 how about the MAG 300 C-115?
    I have gigged for 2 years with that and it never let me down (well, untill it broke down)

3. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    kk thanks ill have a look

any more suggestions?

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Maybe a Carvin RC210 combo. Very nice sound...fairly loud for a combo.

Depending on the cash you have to work with...if you're thinking about a Peavey...try out the BAM210. AWESOME combo, in every way.

Or you have a wider variety of choices if you go with an amphead and cab. Probably cheaper to go that route...and you can mix and match all kinds of heads and cabs, from small to large...for very little money.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    In general Peavey combos pretty much all kick ass volume wise and sound good. Lots of Peavey stuff is still made in the USA, that would be a differentiating factor for me. FWIW Peavey tends to favor B&M retailers, so you might get a better price from a B&M than you could online, I know that was true with the terriffic little Max 160 head I just got.

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've had just about every Peavey bass amp/cab/combo amp ever made and I agree with you 100%.

25+ years ago, the only gear I had access to was Peavey, and I've played through all kinds of various Peavey bass gear over the years, so I've had it all...all the way up to the BAM210 (which I only got rid of because I quit playing for a short time).

They do all kick out some serious volume and are THE most reliable amps around...bar none.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Eden Nemesis combos are terriffic also! I used to have the original 210P and it was really nice.

8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Thumbs up on the Nemesis combos. I played through a 410 and it had some serious bass coming out.

I'm a huge fan of anything "Eden".

I built my own combo that I use now, with an Eden WT400 driving it. If I need more, I add a 410 cab and another power amp (using the WT400 as a pre-amp for it).

If you do go the combo route...if you get one where you can remove the head, you'll have something more versatile down the road if you decide you don't want to use the combo any longer. That's what I did with the Carvin RC210. It just has the R600 amphead in the top of the combo. I used it with a 410 cab later on without the 210's.

9. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Edan Metro is the most unbelievable little box. I bought a Metro and an SWR Redhead from Zzounds. Put them side by side and checked them out for a week. Really the contest was over in 5 minutes. I returned the SWR.

The Metro has so much balls and low end, it's truly hard to believe that sound comes out of that box. Add an additonal cabinet and you are ready for any sound stage. As is, any club, provided you are not trying to play at ear bleed levels. The Eq is totally responsive, the amp has switchable channels, one tube 12ax7 pre, the other solid state. If you are looking for a totally pro setup in tiny box, this is it.

Warning, not cheap!

10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I owned a Deltabass (same as the Max 160 except for faceplate) for over two years and it worked great with my Peavey 115 BVX BW 4 ohm cabinet. Lots of booty for not much looty. I upgraded within the line to a Nitrobass. While I'm on the Peavey bandwagon, I also have a TKO115 combo at home for recording and practice and try as I might I can't come up with a complaint for that amp. It is extremely versatile. The Combo 115 is in the same family of preamp etc. but with a lot more power (and weight).

If our thread-starter is willing to try some separates, a Max 160 driving an Avatar SB112 4 ohm cabinet would make a killer little pro rig.

11. I have an Ashdown Mag C115 300. It's a Combo and I really love it. As for Peavey I will agree that they are indestuctable, I Have a Peavey TKO 75 that I bought new in 1988, and it's still going strong, it's never been in the shop. I never once recieved a complement on my tone with the Peavey. The Ashdown always gets me compliments. I am not saying Peavey is bad but considering your choices I would go with the Ashdown.