Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Comments on AKG WMS40DVGB Diversity Guitarbug Wireless

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gfab333, Jul 4, 2004.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Already did a search on this relatively new model. There aren't any detailed posts by owners/users.

Anyone have any good or bad comments based on actual experiences?

I play 5 strings, so I'm concerned about the 40hz floor on the freq response.

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    this is the one you just plug into your input jack right? no belt unit or anythihng...?

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I played through one of the earlier models with a 5-string, and it seemed to work fine. I'm always a little worried about that 40 hz bottom on them, but I'll bet you just lose a couple dB at 31 hz. If I were going to buy a new wireless, I'd get the Guitar Bug just for the convenience. I only play fives, but like I said, the one I played through did fine.

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I had a chance to use this wireless on a blues/funk/top40 gig last week and also tried the cable vs wireless A/B test. Here are some comments:

The unit is very light-weight, compact in size, and easy to set up and operate.

During the live gig, my bass sounded fine except that the gain seemed a little softer than when I used a cable. I figured out the volume trim control inside the transmitter was set too low at the factory. this was an easy adjustment using one of those tiny screwdrivers. the screw is accessed through a small hole in the transmitter casing, so you don't have to take it apart. After turning up the gain slightly, I was able to replicate the same signal level that you get with a guitar cable.

I did not get around to testing the transmiting distance/range of the unit, but I did notice that it worked fine even if I didn't maintain a "line of sight" to the receiver unit (sax player was often standing right in front of my amp and the receiver unit during the evening, but I didn't experience any drop outs.

The specs for this system cite a freq response of 40hz to 20Khz. Granted our low Bs may extend below 40, I couldn't pass up this new toy. I had good comments on this unit locally and the price was reasonable. I did some A/B comparison in my apartment (so, low volume) and noticed that I could hear a subtle difference in freq response between using a cable vs the wireless. The mids and highs sounded the same, but I could hear that the wireless had slightly less ultra-low end than when using the cable connection. I must stress that the diff was very subtle and that some musicians and definitely all laypersons would never notice the difference. I should also state that I had plenty enough bottom when used the unit on the blues/funk/top 40 gig. The freq response issue does not bother me given the price and convenience of using this unit. Now, if I paid $800 for the unit, then I would probably be upset. Boosting the bass control on my active basses helped to get the overall tone back to where I thought it should be when using the wireless.

For you slappers, the unit appears to preserve that dynamic quickness that you need in your signal chain for delivering fast slapped funk patterns. No complaints here.

Overall, for the price and convenience, I'm very happy with this unit.
    :hyper: :bassist: :hyper:

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    That one and the Sennheiser 1092 are the only two current production wireless I would recommend to a bassist.

7. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I use the AKG WR-2000(GC's version of the WMS-80) and it's a decent unit. 15 switchable frequencies and it picks up my B string like a cable. Probably wouldn't use it if I needed to cause some tremors with the B string, but then again, I wouldn't be using the Mesa Diesel cab either.(it can go low, but not full range low)

8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I had one and noticed the same thing concerning the low end. It definitely changed the tone a bit and lost a little low end on it. I ended up selling it to my dad who plays guitar and he loves it. I don't really notice a difference with his stuff...but that's guitar. ;)

9. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    How is the battery life for the transmitter?
    I use an AudioTechnica something or other and can go 3 or 4 sets with one rechargable Radio Shack 9v. I think I would like the guitar bug type over the current thing I'm using if I can go an entire night on the same battery. It would make switching basses mid set easier. My current unit is clipped to my strap and would be a p.i.t.a. to change in between songs.

10. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Edwcdc,

I used the factory-supplied battery that came with the unit (which sometimes dies out real quick). The gig that I played was three sets.

I've probably played around with it for an hour at home so far, and I've been keeping an eye on the battery consumption. I just checked the battery with a tester and it still reads "green", indicating a near full charge. I think the specs cite 11 hours for one akaline, and slightly less for rechargable. I'll let you know when I've depleted the battery.

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    An update. I hadn't used this wireless in many months. I did an outdoor gig last Sunday, and took it with me for the heck of it. it worked fine for the 3 hour gig. I'm still enjoying it.

:cool: :D :cool: