Need Computer Help - Videos play sound only - no picture!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bassamatic, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Suddenly, after working fine for years, I cannot play stored videos properly - I get only the sound and no picture from downloaded videos (black screen) - MP4, MOV, AVI, etc.

This occurs with VLC, MPC, Windows Media Player and Irfanview.

Online videos in browser play OK
    ITunes will play them OK (!)

I uninstalled and re-installed VLC. I installed Media Player Classic.
    I downloaded and installed the latest mega-codec pack and re-booted.
    I have checked to see that I have the latest driver for my video card.
    I ran CCleaner and checked for registry errors.

When I re-start the computer it is OK for a while, and then video quits working again. I can't figure out what is causing the problem yet. Any suggestions??

Win 7 pro 64 bit

2. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
  3. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    My best guess is that something changed with how the codecs are used or installed in Windows 10 that is not compatible with Windows 7 anymore. Try installing an older version of VLC to test that theory or downloading a codec packet

Index of /pub/videolan/vlc/
    Download K-Lite Codec Pack

I would just try k-lite myself, but if you go the VLC route and it works with an older version, make sure to disable autoupdates.

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Microsoft must not have liked their 2nd Qtr results, so they put a stake in the heart of Win7 to assure a profitable Q3

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Your system may be overheating. Have you vacuumed it lately? Check to make sure the fan is working.

6. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Check your firewall and make sure it didn't reset to any default value. That could be a very easy fix. Check your flash player too and make sure it's up to date. If you are too far behind updates some media players will exclude older versions of adobe.

7. Bassamatic

This is all great stuff - However it seems that most of the problems suggested would not go away when I re-boot - would they?

I have been watching the Event Viewer now - looking for something out of sorts. I also test run a video every now and then to see if the glitch has occurred.

BTW - I don't allow updates for the Win 7 unless I have checked them out first.

8. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Try uninstalling iTunes and see if that fixes it.

9. Your computer is fine, your eyes are going bad

Stumbo likes this.
  10. Bassamatic

OK - I found that it happens after I put the computer to SLEEP at the end of the day - Any more suggestions?

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021