1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Computer Help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Heres the deal. I got a new laptop with all this cool stuff and Windows Vista on it and everything fancy. My dad cleared my hard drive and just installed Windows XP and Microsoft Office. Hooray for dad, all the novelty of a new computer is now worn off, and none of my fancy little features or cool buttons work anymore. :cry:

But anyways, I hooked up some speakers to run but there is no volume control, no little speaker in the bottom right corner or nothing. So I guess I need a sound driver! What can i do?

2. Find out what sound card you have, and download the appropriate driver.

Firstly, what kind of laptop is it, as in the exact model number and the maker of it.

You can usually get drivers directly off of the manufacturers website.

If not, then you can get into Device Manager (by right clicking my computer/properties/hardware/device manager) and then find out what sound card you have from there. [Or, control panel, and then sounds and devices, and hardware, which may be easier]

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I did the same thing to the wife's new Compaq a few months ago. I did the "Online Chat" with the tech at Compaq and was given links to all of the XP device drivers.

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    See if you have a CD that came with the laptop, saying something like "Laptop Manufacturer Install/Drivers/Recovery Kit" - it has all the stuff the manufacturer includes with the computer and should be easy to install - there's also possibility that you can select to do a custom-install, so you can have only the stuff you want.

5. Tsal, the thing is that my computer had the System Restore disks on the computer and you had to burn them yourself. Smart idea huh?

I'm going to try the online chat thing.

6. Stick a linux live CD in, run kinfocenter and determine what sound card you have. Then download appropriate driver from vendor's site.

7. Haven't seen you around in a while, but it is not surprising that you are chiming in with a linux suggestion.

I think in this case Linux is a little unnecessary though, for Windows there are free things like Belarc Advisor that can do this for you.

8. Yeah, true...but when you have a live CD around, it's easy to use it to fix every computer problem. Though I guess once you've bought windows it's a shame to waste it...the CD's make great coasters though :D

9. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
  10. before you do anything that anyone has suggested so far, kick your dad in the nuts. then continue.

11. That's no way to thank him for removing Vista from his PC :)

12. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
    its the other way round

vista is such a trainwreck that if someone removes it for you you should thank them

cheers
    Lucy

13. i dont really know anything about vista, i have a mac, but he made it seem like it was a bad thing. my bad, or not. idk.