1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need critiques for band demos

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Linas, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    We have a chance to get a gig at Daley Plaza in Chicago this summer, and we have 2 days to turn in a quick demo. These are both covers we recorded really quick and dirty last night. Keepers by John Scofield and Peg by Steely Dan.

I'd like to hear some honest feedback from unbiased listeners.

http://www.kjdmusic.com/band/Keepers 2009.04.27.mp3
    http://www.kjdmusic.com/band/Peg 2009.04.27.mp3

*For those wondering, im playing a Fender Hot Rodded Precision Bass strung with DR sunbeams, recorded direct through a Carvin B800 post EQ.
    On keepers, both P and J pickups, and tone on full
    Peg, just the P pickup, tone full.

2. gimpanzee

gimpanzee

Apr 20, 2009
    well done on getting a pretty clear demo together so fast! the standard of playing and the vocals are good so if thats what you want to convey then it comes across well that you are a good band and i would think from your demo that you would be worth seeing live. if you want an opinion on the recording/mix/arrangement etc I would say the electric piano on keepers is far too loud to the point of being annoying and the guitar solo sound is not good, its not a very good solo and it goes on forever (i would cut it to about 8 bars long or just have the rhodes solo instead). the other one "peg" sounds pretty good although i would say the piano with the phaser? gets distracting quickly as its sort of overwhelming it would probably be a cool sound to use just a wee bit here and there. keys, guitar and vox are a bit dry reverbwise and if you have some sort of mastering ability that would prob help glue the whole mix together, i would turn up the drums in the mix as they sound really good and the drummer is excellent.. bass is nice sounding, consistent and sounds really good in the mix also sits in well with the drums.. hope you get your gig, cheers

3. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Bump. even a you suck, or you rock would be nice.