1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need description of MIM or American jazz pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gkman1, Nov 5, 2006.

1. gkman1

gkman1

Apr 5, 2006
    I replaced my American jazz and MIM jazz with EMG pickups...SO, I have two sets of Fender Jazz pickups that sort of look identical....I want to make sure that I'm replacing the correct pickup in the correct bass...could someone briefly describe the underneath of a MIM jazz pickup...is there a number at the bottom or is there a red color wrapping around the side of the actual pickup?? I'd really appreciate the help...thanks!!

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Thought most MIM Jazz pups were equal length? If so, you should have 3 equal and one not. And you should be able to pair them up for that alone. You could also through DCR into the mix.

3. gkman1

gkman1

Apr 5, 2006
    Hello,

They are equal in length...I just needed a description of what the underneath looks like......I'm guessing the ones with a 6 digit serial # are from the American Jazz.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Well if 3 are equal and one is different then the different one is an MIA and the bottom of it should look more like the bottom of the other MIA than the MIMs.

To my knowledge, both MIA J's have black and white leads not yellow and black like the MIMs, except the neck pup on MIA noiseless has yellow with black, bridge is black and white.

Never had MIMs, just seen them.

5. gkman1

gkman1

Apr 5, 2006
    The MIM and MIA's both have white & black leads....one pair has a red ring around the magnet and the other pair does not.....other than that, they both pairs look the same.....just need to know which is which.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Then I would speculate that the one that matches the odd length pup is the MIA set.

I've had some with red and some with red AND blue dots on the baseplate marking bridge/neck pups respectively and I've had an MIA set with blue tape wrapped around the coils but nothing with "red rings around the magnet."

Thing about Fender is they aren't that consistent. There's all kinds of variatons in the same model pup - as least some of them. Seems some of their MIM basses have US pups in them as well.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Somehow I missed that you seem to be saying all 4 of these pups are the same length - which doesn't flow. There are no MIA Jazz pups to my knowledge that are same length. Maybe you're saying you have two pairs of long/shorts? Which is an option cause seems Fender changed the same length MIM thing after a few years.

I think it's member Fender Mod that's into Fenders and has some familiarity with their pups. You might email him or Steve "Dude" Barr at vintage bass trader. Pics are usually a plus too.