1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need DI box use explained please

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassman8416, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Hey Folks,
    I have an Eden WT550B with Eden cabs. I am looking to improve my live sound. I am confused by the recommendations to add a Radial JDI or a Sansamp BDDI or even an Avalon U5. I would like to get more punch and overall clarity(too much boom and muddiness) in my live sound. I have tried eq adjustments, eg. boosting the mids. I go direct out of the Eden Head in to the house sound, usually with a lame soundman. I play with active pick ups and keep things in the 12 oclock range. How would one these DI/preamps help(or another if you have any suggestions), how would I signal chain?
    I play in two situations...a Grateful Dead Cover band and a jazz/R & B/ Blues band. Particularly with the Dead band I am lacking tonewise. There are 2 guitarists, drums and a keyboard player. I have plenty of volume..there is just alot of lows and mud.
    I appreciate any help.

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Unless you prefer the sound of a particular DI box there is no need for you to go through one. You already have a DI on your head.

If it is your stage volume that is boomy, roll off some of your lows. The venue that you play in might need a different eq strategy than where you practice or at home or etc.

If it is boomy coming out of the house speakers your sound man may possibly need to get a clue. But again it might be a tough venue to eq.

Oh, one thing you might do is if you have a pre/post eq switch for the DI on your head try switching it to post and roll off the lows. That way the sound guy gets a low-attenuated signal. Of course the sound guy might just raise them at the board and possibly make it worse...so you may just be out of luck.

:D

Joe.

3. PhatRon

PhatRon I blow bass

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    have you tried just cutting the lows. or perhaps your gain is too hot. is 12:00 on your on board pre actually flat or is it boosting. try cutting there too. Start with every thing flat, try to isolate where those un wanted frequencies are, cut, and go from there. I've heard some really nice tones come from those Eden heads. get your rig sounding descent first. adding another pre isn't gonna make the boom and mud go away. I can't remember if that head has on board compressor, if so turn that off when EQing. and don't over do it if you use it.
    happy hunting

4. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Thanks guys.

5. There is nothing wrong with the eden head that you would need to add an extra DI to change the sound. are you sending a pre or post DI signal? send a pre signal, if the sound out front is bad there can only be 3 culprits... your bass, your fingers or the sound guy. Sending a post mix to the FOH is generally not a good idea... it's like sending an artist a half painted picture and expecting him to finish it in the same style and with the same paints you started it in... more likely to ause problems than fix them unless you have a good relationship with and can work very closely with your engineer at each show

Also for a starting point put all the eden eq's at noon. except the enhance knob, turn that all the way to the left

6. MarthaSamira

MarthaSamira Banned

Apr 29, 2012
    Yes, send a Pre-signal...

I happen to dislike Eden's DI's...

If you're using a passive bass try a Radial J48 out. I think you'll be pleased. If not, easily sold for a small loss...

The BDDI would be the case if you need more control over the signal you send to the FOH. Also a good option.