1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need dimensions for a cabinet.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Navybass, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    I'm looking to build an angled 4x12 bass cabinet just like Fender made back in the 70's.

I'm looking for the angle at which the speakers were mounted and the dimentions of the 4 triangle shapped pieces the speakers were mounted on and the outside dimensions.

If anyone has one and could do the measurements, it would be greatly appreciated.

This is the cab I'm looking to recreate;

caeb_12.

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    But why? You'd be better served by a woofer+mid design if you're that bothered about dispersion and although the cross-firing approach will help off-axis response compared to a normal 4x12" it also hugely eats into the internal volume and thus bass response.

Alex

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

+1. That's an awfully small box for four 12s. It won't have good response at all.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. The main reason for the dismal failure of that design was the even smaller than usual cab volume for the drivers used. A pair of 2x12s would work far better and be infinitely easier to handle.

5. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    The reason I wanted the dimentions was because I was going to try an experiment with the angled baffles.

As far as ease of handling, it couldn't be more difficult to handle than a 8x8 or a 8x10 cab.

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

You can get approximate dimensions from the photo. You know the driver cutouts are approximately 12" each. Call them 12".

With that base measurement, you can approximate the space "above" (toward the back) and "below" (toward the front) for each cutout. For example, the side wedge looks to have 6" below the driver and 4" above. So that makes the side wedge about 22" high. It touches the cabinet back, with 2" between it and the left wedge.

Make a mockup from cardboard. It doesn't have to be full-size. Make it to scale.

And then start making sawdust. It isn't like you'll need dimensions more accurate than the 5-10% you have from this idea.

7. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    as has been mentioned, those cabs really arent that good sounding, particularly with stock speakers.

however, it seems like if one were to build a 4x12 with the same outside dimensions as that one, but use a "standard" sort of baffle with some bracing, that you might produce a pretty neat cabinet with plenty of internal volume.

a friend of mine did just that, although it wasnt the bassman 135 cab. he had a drip-edge bandmaster cab--- the tall 2x12 (which is the same size as the tall 2x15 that predate the bassman 135 cab). of course, it pretty well blew, so he built another baffle for 4x12's and loaded it up with some celestions. it worked out pretty well, though it was a bit of a hoss for a 4x12 (and it was used for guitar). also, the drip-edge trim couldnt be saved (knd of a shame, really). OTOH, for a bass cab, the extra girth might be just right. with grillcloth, you wont be able to tell the difference anyway.

the best answer is to decide on the speakers first, then go from there.