Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need DR string help, hibeams vs lo riders

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Mar 9, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    can some one help me with the differences?

i like to have some bottom end, but i like my strings to have some brightness and snap. the hi beams are ok, im just wondering if the lo riders are going to be any better?

ps, it's going on a mia p-bass.

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    also, difference between nickel and stainless.

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Do a search - hi-beams are generally brighter, as are stainless steel strings...

4. Lo-Riders for more pronounced bottom and punch. Stainless steel for brightness. Search for info ;)

5. Anyone play sunbeams or fat beams

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I have sunbeams on my Wal and they kick a**. Very clear with a big bottom. Doesn't hurt that I have them on a Wal either. ;)

7. jpbass5

jpbass5 Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Newport, Rhode Island
    My vote is for the Lowriders. they don't seem to be a "brash" as HiBeams. I've been using Lowriders for years on my Jazz and recently had to use HiBeams because they were what was available, and I was a bit disapointed. They didn't seem to keep their edge as long. Maybe I'm a bit silly, but I think the Lowriders sound better all around, they do have a bigger bottom- and seem to sound better longer.

Jonathan
    www.thenakeds .com

8. +1 for Lowriders.

9. Question on DR's. Which style of music are each type of string(lowrider, sun,HI and fat beams etc) more suited for? I mean in terms of music style such as rock, jazz, gospel, funk, heavy metal, blues etc.

10. I think they work well for all situations, musically speaking. Try them you'll like them.